embedded linux for starters

hi i'm new to linux embedded what OS you suggest to install on my pc what about RTOS-32 thanks

Reply to
lior

you are posting in a linux group, aren't you?

We are using a standard linux kernel with ulibC and busybox on top. Works just fine here.

--
weeks of software enineering safe hours of planing ;)
Reply to

If I understood your question correctly, it should have said "I am new to embedded linux development and wanted to know what guest distro and toolset should I use to get started ?" If that is right you need to give us more info on the following. If thats wrong, then you need to write complete sentences and provid more info.

- What embedded linux platform are you interested in (PPC, PowerPC, ARM ....etc)

- Do you already have the hardware or you want info on this too (or are you just interested in testing it out on a simulator/emulator)

- Do you want to pay for your tools or you want Open source once

- Are you interested in user space development for embedded systems or kernel development or just configuration of existing embedded linux environments

Cheers J

Reply to
Janaka

Do you mean your development PC or do you want to use a PC as a target device ?

I don't know RTOS-32. But "RTOS" sounds like "realtime".

As Linux does not support hard realtime out of the box you needs to consider what you do if hard realtime is what you need.

- use a dedicated realtime OS - use realtime extensions for Linux - use a second processor for the realtime stuff - use some virualization system to run Linux and a realtime OS together on a single processor - use an FPGA to do the hard realtime stuff in hardware and add a Linux-enabled processor chip - use an FPGA to do the hard realtime stuff in hardware and integrate a Linux-enabled processor core in the FPGA design.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

HI,

I Wanted to use ARM Embedded Linux platform.

simulators are Emulators can you give me details. Iam Intersted in Kernel space Development. right from Boot - loader. will you give me some Links are books regarding this.

Thanks & with Regards, R-

Reply to
srblinux

What do you want to do in kernel space that can't be done in user space?

Often it's useful to think about partitioning your task into a user mode program that does most of the work, and a kernel module that does what has to be done there.

As for how to get started - personally I think nothing beats the hands on experience of finding a kernel module that does something remotely similar to what you want, making a copy of it, and hacking at it until it does what you need.

Then you probably should re-write it from scratch with a more carefully thought out design...

Reply to
cs_posting