Emacs alternative

I am working on an embedded project and I have decided to keep it relatively generic. I am using gdb and gdbserver with the DDD shell for debugging, which works pretty well for me, but for writing code the Emacs editor drives me crazy. It is very classic, neat, clean and simple and most importantly pretty well integrated with the gcc command line compiler. However, absolutely no keystrokes besides the regular letters and digits are the present standard neither in the GUI Linux world nor in the Windows world. Since I am using both it's a pain in the ..... Whenever I hit the home key to go to the start of the line it jumps to the start of the file, find is called search and I haven't found a short cut for it yet and so on and on.

Isn't there are more modern editor available that integrates equally well with the gcc compiler but still stays neat, clean and simple but STANDARD? Something like a GUI Emacs.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jens.

Reply to
<j.munk

Anjuta

Reply to
Helix

Thanks,

Now comes the problem that I am using an older RH 7.2 and the present release of Anjuta will not install on that :-( I guess I will eventually have to get a newer RH,

Jens.

Reply to
<j.munk

While you might not be able to get a binary package for RH 7.2, why don't you simply grab the source for Anjuta and build it? In my experience, 8 out of 10 times, if a binary package isn't built for your specific system, you can still just build it manually. You can even use "checkinstall" and it'll even generate an RPM install for you.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Flugstad

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a go.

Jens.

Reply to
<j.munk

I stumbled accross Kwrite, part of the KDE package that came with RH for the PC.

Nice color syntax highlighting and standard key functions. Though not a "programmer's editor", I have come to like it.

Steve

relatively

drives

Reply to
Steve Beaver

Hi,

I downloaded the source but it will not configure and thus build. It cannot find some libraries. Also it seems to be designed for the Gnome and I am using the KDE.

Jens.

Reply to
<j.munk

If you've got as Kwrite, the next stage is Kate, which is my current programming environment. It uses Kwrite as an editor, has a file selector, and a console. I like the way the console automatically changes path as you go through your open files.

--
Dave Clarke
Reply to

How about source navigator ? Especially nice if you need to update old code, or code that was written by someone else.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus