ELINOS and "mount" command

Hi everybody:

When I try to nfs-mount a remote PC from an embedded machine running ELINOS 2.0 I have to wait for a very long time until the remote directory is actually mounted.

Only after 2-4 minutes I can use the remote machine.

Has anybody experienced the same and can tell me what to do?

Thanks for any help!

Mathias...

Reply to
Mathias Gummert

Fix your DNS configuration?

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
A modem is a baudy house.
Reply to
Wolfgang Denk

I'm not using DNS. I was trying the IP address and the /etc/hosts file, but it's the same in both cases.

Another machine is connecting to the NFS server with no problems.

Mathias...

Reply to
Mathias Gummert

You think you are not using DNS, but some software in your system is attempting to perform a name lookup. This is where the two minute timeout is coming from.

Check all affected systems for correct host name settings and if name resolution works - either by a name server or files based, but it must work.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
"Pull the wool over your own eyes!"                - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs
Reply to
Wolfgang Denk

You don't really provide much information here.

Just a hunch, add "-o nolock" to your mount command.

If that doesn't work, come back with a _lot_ more details: server OS and NFS software version, local kernel and mount command version, what kind of network is between them, the actual mount command, and anything else remotely relevant to your configuration. Do you know about tcpdump or other packet sniffers? Have you tried one on the server and/or client?

- Larry

Reply to
Larry Doolittle

You got the point, Larry. With the "nolock" option everything works fine.

Thank you!

Mathias...

Reply to
Mathias Gummert

Than this means that no portmapper is running on your local system.

Background information: normally, i. e. when NOT using "-o nolock", the kernel will attempt to start a 'lockd' kernel thread, which will cause RPC calls to the localhost's portmapper. If the loopback interface is up, these calls go through and fail only after a _very_ long timeout.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
The price one pays for pursuing any profession,  or  calling,  is  an
intimate knowledge of its ugly side.                  - James Baldwin
Reply to
Wolfgang Denk