Disappearing kernel drivers

My favoritest NIC driver (NE2000) is disappearing from the newer kernel (2.6.20). The code is in the net directory, but CONFIG_NE2000 is not in the .config. Even if I put it in, it will be deleted before compiling.

Does anyone know where to put it back?

It is a signal to trash my NE2000s? Or be struck at 2.6.16 (last working one).

Reply to
linnix

yuck!

Well, yeah. It's not like you can't get something good for very little money.

Reply to
ellis

| My favoritest NIC driver (NE2000) is disappearing from the newer | kernel (2.6.20). The code is in the net directory, but CONFIG_NE2000 | is not in the .config. Even if I put it in, it will be deleted before | compiling.

It's still in my copy of 2.6.20. I'll keep a close watch on 2.6.20 and see if I can tell when it actually disappears. Should I make a backup?

| It is a signal to trash my NE2000s?

You think you could get anything for them on Ebay? Maybe 100 for a dollar?

| Phil Howard KA9WGN (ka9wgn.ham.org)  /  Do not send to the address below |
| first name lower case at ipal.net   /  spamtrap-2007-02-12-1252@ipal.net |
phil-news-nospam

The driver and option are in the net subdirectory, but no way to set it in the top level config.

I know you are going to laugh, but i am running them on coax. It is good way to get the extra distance (vs. TP), and also restrict the bandwidth on these "embedded boxes".

Reply to
linnix

Hello,

dollar?

I am running coax network primarily, too. Partly on NE2000, partly on DEC Tulip. The cables did exist when we moved in and until there's some high-speed connection to the internet (I've got 1 Mbps right now), this won't change much. I am even believing these cables will be here as long as I live here...

They are simply working and don't get defective; but TP does neither.

Regards, Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian