Developing MontaVista application from other free linux distribution.

Hi,

I am developing an application for Radisys Promentum Baseband card which features a Intel=AE IXP2350 network processor. This card runs on MontaVista carrier grade linux professional 3.1. I compiled my source using RedHat Fedora, RedHat Enterprize 4 etc. To test the code I used RPC mechanism with the card. So far it is runs well.

But, now I want the code to be run from the card. Since MontaVista license is very costly I amd trying to avoid it. I also heard about another carrier grade Linux called Wind River which is also costly.

Now I just want to write the binary which is compiled in RedHat Fedora into the baseband card running on MontaVista. Will there be any problem if I do that? Is there any open source free carrier grade Linux distribution compatible with MontaVista? Is there any free or low cost tools to develop application for MontaVista from any free linux distribution?

I appreciate your help and Thank you in advance.

Regards. max

Reply to
max

Something is very wrong. No Linux is 'expensive'. All are released under the GPL license, which insists that all source code be available, and that no restrictions can be put on revisions.

The only things that can be restricted are independent applications. Since they cannot be integrateed, this does not affect the license for Linux. It remains free.

 [page]:
            Try the download section.
Reply to
CBFalconer

He didn't say Linux was expensive, he said that licenses for the MontaVista and Wind River distros were expensive. Which it may be, if it includes support, uptime guarantees, proprietary management tools or even trademarked images. (I have not used or researched either personally, however.)

Reply to
Michael Mol

There may be, if the shared libraries you tested against are of a different version than the ones on your target system, or if those libraries were compiled with a different compiler and/or version of the compiler than you used.

If you statically linked against libraries such as libc, you may have problems if the kernel on the target system is of a different version than your compilation system or if that kernel was compiled with a different compiler and/or version of the compiler than you used.

Or you may be lucky, and none of the potential issues listed above would arise. But if you're targeting "carrier grade" systems, I wouldn't depend on luck.

IMO, your best bet to deal with those problems is to use the vendor's SDK, if they provide one, or to build on the target system.

Reply to
Michael Mol

Sorry, I am late to reply.

The board comes with Intel=AE IXP2350 network processor. I have SDK for that network processor. Can I use that SDK? I tried on previous occassion without any success.

Specifically, I need to know if any binary that runs on redhat enterprize or other distros can run without any modification in MontaVista. If not is there any free or low cost workbench to do that?

Thanks.

Reply to
max

I don't know. I don't have experience with that board, processor or SDK.

It's not safe to assume so, for the reasons I outlined. If you can't verify that another distro uses the same compiler, compiler version, kernel version and version of all relevant libraries as the version of the MontaVista distro you're targeting, then you should be aware that you may run into incompatibilities that will cause obvious or subtle bugs. From your desire to target carrier-grade systems, I wouldn't expect such a possibility to be acceptable.

If you're lucky, there may be a Free equivalent of MontaVista you could develop on, along the same lines as CentOS relates to RHEL. I don't know if such a thing exists for any distro appropriate to your needs. I would still strongly recommend testing on your target OS, however. You might also try contacting the company behind the distros you're interested in, and see if they offer a developer discount or loan; Some companies that sell high-priced hardware and software will loan demonstration models for development purposes.

Reply to
Michael Mol

What exactly did you try?

IXP2350 is an Xscale CPU, which is ARMv5 architecture. So, no, i386 linux binaries won't run. Your minimal set of tools will be a compiler/binutils/libs/headers for that architecture. This could well be a cross compiler running on a standard i386 linux box.

Regards,

Arthur

--
arthur dot erhardt at pit dot physik dot uni dash tuebingen dot de
*pgp key available*                                         dg7sea

A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms.
Reply to
Arthur Erhardt

What opsys this ARM/XScale? card has?

So the card is installed on a x86? system which has this Linux?

A x86 application made in Fedora etc. seems to work in MontaVista too and there to communicate OK with the Radisys card?

Two totally separate problems seem to be mixed here :

  1. Producing code elsewhere for the MontaVista Linux host

  1. Producing code elsewhere for the Radisys baseband card

Both should be quite usual cross-compiling tasks and when one has an access for both 'targets', their current installed stuff, these tasks should be rather easy (for anyone with the required know-how).

So I think you would need :

  1. a crosstoolchain for that MontaVista Linux

  1. a crosstoolchain for that Radisys card

Both hosted on your chosen Fedora

Reply to
Willem van der Ruuppendorff

For MMU-less ARM processor issues you may want to check

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell