Cross tools for SH processors and Slackware

Hello from Gregg C Levine It seems I am colliding with the illogic of how people constantly build their development tools on a RPM based system.

Consider this, I downloaded from a site that's Japanese, and English, (Obviously I went to the English side), the RPM files that closely matched the versions of GCC, and the binary utilities that were supplied with Slack10. I converted them to Slack packages using the rpm2tgz tool, and then installed them. My first task was to build a kernel for my project, it's on the Sega Dreamcast, which is SH based. It ran okay once I figured out the command strings, however it seems that the way the tools were built caused the problems, (I think.), basically the kernel (version

2.4.26) refused to completely compile. Now if anyone is interested in the error messages, before I go down the next route, I can recreate my steps, and then make the output available for perusal.

While I think I can use the supplied source code for building my own tools, and even a library, either Glibc, or uClibc, for the processor, has anyone done so, and created packages? Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net (Company website at

)

Reply to
Gregg C Levine

check out crosstool

I used it to build arm and ppc toolchains and it worked great. Definitely saves time and solves all problems with pre-made toolchains...

Regards, Sasho

(Obviously I

GCC,

Slack

build

okay

tools

2.4.26)

messages,

output

and

so, and

Reply to
Alexander Popov

(Obviously I

GCC,

Slack

build

okay

tools

2.4.26)

messages,

output

and

so, and

Get thee to

and try the development snapshot!

- Dan

Reply to
Dan Kegel

Hello from Gregg C Levine I did that. I used the default browser for KDE to download that one. Tar complained so I grabbed it via wget. Extracted it into the /usr/local/src directory.

I then ran the script for setting things for the SH4. I should have mentioned, that my target isn't one of the developer boards from the company, its a Dreamcast that's my target.

I then ran the next script, it complained about not having a couple of variables set. Same with the crosstool.sh script. I also created a script file to explain this: Script started on Thu 16 Sep 2004 12:21:11 AM EDT root@who4:/usr/local/src/crosstool-0.28-rc35# sh all.sh Please set TARGET to the Gnu target identifier (e.g. pentium-linux) root@who4:/usr/local/src/crosstool-0.28-rc35# sh crosstool.sh Please set PREFIX to where you want the toolchain installed. root@who4:/usr/local/src/crosstool-0.28-rc35# exit Script done on Thu 16 Sep 2004 12:23:17 AM EDT

I am some what confused. I did read the documentation pointed to inside the doc directory that the README file points to. Also I'd like to have the crosstool scripts build Slackware packages. I'm also going to post the output from the demo-sh4.sh script: #!/bin/sh set -ex TARBALLS_DIR=/usr/local/src/sh4 RESULT_TOP=/opt/crosstool export TARBALLS_DIR RESULT_TOP GCC_LANGUAGES="c,c++" export GCC_LANGUAGES

# Really, you should do the mkdir before running this, # and chown /opt/crosstool to yourself so you don't need to run as root. mkdir -p $RESULT_TOP

# Build the toolchain. Takes a couple hours and a couple gigabytes. # note: binutils < 2.13 doesn't know about sh4, so don't try building gcc-2.95 # note: gcc-3.2.3 has ICE compiling glibc for sh4

so don't try building gcc-3.2.3

#eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.3-glibc-2.2.5.dat` sh all.sh --notest #eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.3-glibc-2.3.2.dat` sh all.sh --notest #eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.3.2-glibc-2.3.2.dat` sh all.sh --notest #eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.3.3-glibc-2.3.2.dat` sh all.sh --notest #eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.4.0-glibc-2.3.2.dat` sh all.sh --notest eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.4.1-glibc-2.3.3.dat` sh all.sh --notest #eval `cat sh4.dat gcc-3.4.1-glibc-20040827.dat` sh all.sh --notest

echo Done. I examined the configuration files for the SH4, and I noticed that its set for the generic processor. Would that make a difference?

--
Gregg C Levine drwho8 atsign att dot net
--
PS- Nice website discussing your work.

In article , dank-news@kegel.com says...

>Gregg C Levine wrote:
>> Consider this, I downloaded from a site that's Japanese, and English,
(Obviously
>> went to the English side), the RPM files that closely matched the versions of
GCC,
>> and the binary utilities that were supplied with Slack10. I converted them to
Slack
>> packages using the rpm2tgz tool, and then installed them. My first task was
build
>> a kernel for my project, it's on the Sega Dreamcast, which is SH based. It
ran
okay
>> once I figured out the command strings, however it seems that the way the
tools
>> were built caused the problems, (I think.), basically the kernel (version
2.4.26)
>> refused to completely compile. Now if anyone is interested in the error
messages,
>> before I go down the next route, I can recreate my steps, and then make the
output
>> available for perusal.
>>
>> While I think I can use the supplied source code for building my own tools,
and
>> even a library, either Glibc, or uClibc, for the processor, has anyone done
so,
and
>> created packages?
>
>Get thee to http://kegel.com/crosstool and try the development snapshot!