Cross Compiling: Compatibility of the versions gcc and glibc for MPC8xx

I am buildinng a cross compiling toolchain # Host = i686, Redhat 9 # Target MPC8xx # binutils: 2.13 # gcc.95.3 # glibc 2.2.3 # Kernel 2.4.20-8

  • I successfully build binutils and gcc with newlib and without headers.
  • I am now trying to build glibc I have the following errors:
  • The error: ./stdio.texi: 3269: First argument to cross-reference may not be empty ./stdio.texi: 3269: First argument to cross-reference may not be empty

makeinfo.Removing output file '/usr/cross/builds/glibc-2.2.3/manual/libc,info' due to errors

make[2] ***[libc.info] Error 2 make[1][ ***[manual/subdir-install] Error 2 make: ***[install] Error 2

### Is the problems due to incompatibility in versions of gcc and glibc.

Reply to
LinuxNovice

That looks like an error while trying to create the on-line documentation. Your library may already be built !

Try upgrading your texinfo. If that's not practical and if you can figure out what .info file it was trying to make, you could just touch that file and let the rest of the install proceed. You'll just have an empty .info file in your online documentation.

Right. The program complaining is makeinfo, part of texinfo. Come to think of it: just edit stdio.texi, line 3269, and comment out the text with the offending cross-reference. You don't really have to understand texinfo to do this, just shoot in the pile...

--
pa at panix dot com
Reply to

Thanks. Seems useful. As I was going through other discussion forums. I got a suggestion to go for higher glibc version. The problem somehow did not arise with glibc-2.2.5

Reply to
LinuxNovice