Compact Flash implementation using the PowerPC UPM

Hello,

I would like to know if a linux driver exists that uses the UPM (User Programmable Machine) of the PowerPC (I use the MPC8247) to control a Compact Flash as in the following application notes :

If not, what would you suggest to implement a Compact Flash interface to the MPC8247 (this one doesn't have the PCMCIA interface) ? I have looked at PCI to ATA chips but the only one available in Canada I found and supported by Linux (Silicon Image Sii0680ACL144) dissipates 1.2W (almost as much as the PowerPC itself...). This is way too much for my embedded platform.

Thanks, Guillaume Fournier Hardware Designer Please post reply to the newsgroup

Reply to
Guillaume Fournier

Good to hear someone else is looking at CF.

CF cards operate in a similar way to hard disks. That is via an 8 task file registers: data, sector count, 4 off sector/head registers and command register. The electrical interface can be memory mapped, IO mapped, or true-ide mode. In all cases, talking to the drive is largly the same as talking to a standard hard drive.

The problem (and the one I have) is hacking the kernel to support specific IO routines. The main routines are stored in a structure elements hwif->INB, hwif->OUTB etc. Replace these with your own routines and you should be able to mount the drive.

Let me know how you get on as I am attempting this myself.

the

PCI

Reply to
Paul B.