capturing an RTSP stream

I would like to capture (download to a file) an RTSP stream generated by an AXIS video server (241Q/S).

Is there a small program available for Linux, suitable for a small embedded Linux platform, that could accomplish this? I'm aware of mplayer and its ability to do this, but it seems that mplayer and its associated codecs and libraries are complete overkill, as all I want to do is capture the RTSP stream and save it to a file, I don't want to do any encoding or decoding.

Something along the lines of an RTSP-capable wget would be perfect.

Any advise is very appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
tomviolin

You just want the network packets, right? I think ethereal set up with a filter on the desired port number could do this. You'll probably have to write a little bit of code to remove duplicate/retransmitted packets and to pull out the payloads.

-Clark

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, however I was hoping to find something that already exists to do this. My fallback option, if I don't find anything, is of course to write my own program.

Reply to
tomviolin

As a followup, I have found a possible solution in openRTSP, which is a standalone program that does exactly what I wanted. I'll post another followup once I have successfully applied it to my application.

Reply to
tomviolin

I've posted some of my results elsewhere, but I'll embellish on them here, for those of you following this thread.

I have in fact been able to record MPEG4 video from an Axis 241S video server using an embedded ARM board using opepnRTSP.

First, I built openRTSP using the excellent Scratchbox cross-compilation environment.

Then, once deployed on the ARM board, the following command line did the trick:

./openRTSP -4 -H -u {user} {password} -w 704 -h 480 -e {seconds} -f 10 rtsp://nn.nn.nn.nn/mpeg4/media.amp 1>output.mp4

where: {user} and {password} are the user and password to the video server -w and -h parameters match the dimensions of the video (e.g. 704x480 here) {seconds} specifies how many seconds to record video -f specifies the frame rate (10fps in this example) nn.nn.nn.nn is the IP address of the video server.

The only problem I have encountered is that, if I record successive video clips with immediate successive calls to openRTSP that there is an unavoidable 1/3 to 1/2-second gap in the video. I have decided that is acceptable for my application, at least for now.

-- Tom Hansen Senior Information Processing Consultant Great Lakes WATER Institute

tomviolin