Capacitive v resistive touch panels

-----------------------------------

Embedded Linux with capacitive and resistive touch panels have exploded with the arrival of Android and ARM processors.

But which one to go for?

Go capacitive!

The older resistive touch technology require calibration, is prone to wear and degrades more quickly than capacitive touch panels.

Also with capacitive touch panels, you don't need to physically contact the surface to get registration, which also means prolonging life.

The drivers for capacitive and resistive sensors are more or less same. An RS232 like stream of data is sent by the chip and it locates the X and Y position of touch. It can't get any simpler if you are writing drivers or hacking existing machines.

Reply to
7
7 posted this message in ROT13 encoding:

I put an "LCD protector" film over my Palm Pixi's touchscreen, and it works pretty well with it in place.

Normal grease I don't care about, but the stuff on the touchscreen was like glue.

--
I'm ANN LANDERS!!  I can SHOPLIFT!!
Reply to

That probably means you got capacitive screen which doesn't get affected by protective screens. Try operating the screen without physical touch - if its capacitive then it will obey :-D

Reply to
7

The resistive screen on my N900 works perfectly well with a screen protector, and I only need a very light touch.

Reply to
White Spirit