Cannot install LILO on compact flash device

I am trying to install a embedded system. I have built and copied across to my CF card the built system based on 2.4 kernal and busybox. I have created a target lilo conf file on the CF as follows

boot = /dev/sda disk = /dev/sda bios=0x80 image=/boot/bzImage-2.4.29 root=/dev/sda1 append="root=/dev/hda1" label=linux read-only

I then try and load it using

lilo -r /mnt/cd -C /etc/target.lilo.conf

using LILO version 22.4.1

and I get the following error

Fatal: stat /dev/sda: No such file or directory

I have a /mnt/cf/dev/sda

on the system

Anyone any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Reply to
tPedley

Has your board a CF IDE interface ? If yes use /dev/hdX

Reply to
Helix

No, its connected via USB, but that should not be a problem since I can access it the disk OK.

Basically I have been following the best I can the O'Reilly Building Embedded Linux Systems book and have built my system and followed the Using LILO with Disk and Compact Flash Devices section. But have now come to a halt.

Any ideas anyone?

I can chroot onto the system, however it looks to me that it is looking for stat on on the chrooted system and busybox does not have that utility.

Reply to
tPedley

Ok, Fixed it. Basically I needed to create my sda device on the compact flash(and sda1)

created directory scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0

then in the lun0 directory

mknod -m 666 disc b 8 0 mknod -m 666 part1 b 8 1

then in the CF dev directory

ln -s scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc sda ln -s scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 sda1

Reply to
tPedley