Building a User-Land

Can someone tell me where I can find documentation or a site on building a "Userland" for an embedded system? I cant seem to find out what this should be.

- Adam

Reply to
Adam Rumpke

Can someone tell me where I can find documentation or a site on building a "Userland" for an embedded system? I cant seem to find out what this should be.

- Adam

Reply to
Adam Rumpke

That depends entirely on your application. The kernel runs /sbin/init at boot time; whatever init does is up to you.

For many embedded Linux projects, the userland is mostly just BusyBox. See

Grant Taylor - gtaylorpicante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
   Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/
Reply to
Grant Taylor

I use busybox heavily, but I often find I need a few other things.

Adam, if you're using uClibc, you should check out buildroot at uclibc.org, it's a Makefile that knows how to build a userland.

If you're using glibc, you should check out ptxdist, which is a similar thing that can handle both uClibc and glibc. It's at

but it's not quite polished yet, so if you want to use it, expect to have to ask a few questions on their mailing list. I'm pumping new packages into ptxdist as fast as I can; we added libpcap, libnet, and nmap recently, and I see oprofile's already there...

- Dan

Reply to
Dan Kegel

Sorry to take so long to answer back. Thanks for the advice on Busybox ...

I will check out "uClibc" for future projects.

Well anyway I am going to build my userland with the following ->

Busybox, Vim, Pcmcia-CS, and Glibc ...

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction

- Adam

Reply to
Adam Rumpke