Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree

I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to build a module for a

2.4 kernel outside the kernel tree....

I am following the book, Linux Device Drivers, which is written for 2.6 kernels, so I expect that things will be a bit different.

For 2.6 kernels, this works:

make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.15.1 M=`pwd` modules

But I can't find an equivalent command for 2.4 kernels....

make -C /usr/local/src/linux24 M=`pwd` modules

Just builds all of the 2.4 modules, and not the one in `pwd`....

$M seems to be ignored... So how can I do this for 2.4 kernels?

--Yan

Reply to
Captain Dondo

I'm a bit puzzled by that. The 2.4 version is available for free, search for it with Google.

Reply to
Geronimo W. Christ Esq

I don't know if it is the best way what I did, and the makefile is a bit more complicated (more than one target, final driver is constructed from many object files) but anyway, check out the latest can4linux version V3.3.4 and look at "Makefile-k2.4"

Regards Heinz

Reply to
Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

Hello ,

This is possible in linux 2.4 also. I have built ethernet driver module outside the kernel tree!

Best Regards, Vivekanandan M

Reply to
Vivekanandan M

Yup, got it, thanks....