Boot on a without BIOS-support from USB

Hello all, I am newbie in this concept. I want to install a some mini-linux on a external USB-HDD of PC. My problem is that the mainboard BIOS doesn't support booting via USB.

Do I need make a special floppy that does the boot process and loads the usb modules? Did anyone succeed in boot on a without BIOS-support from USB?

Thanks in advance,

David

Reply to
elcinturapartida

David,

Sounds like a good plan. Alternately, you could boot the kernel+modules from ethernet, cdrom or from the BIOS itself (see linuxbios.org )

regards,

  | Damion de Soto --------------------------------------------------
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Damion de Soto

Hello,

Then you can't boot from USB without some special arrangements.

That may be an idea. Take a look at Damn Small - they should provide a floppy. It is also possible that solutions like Etherboot

exist for booting from USB. Maybe this is a help to you:

I didn't try, because I don't have a computer without this capability. Either the computer can boot from USB or it doesn't have it at all :-)

Regards

Reply to
Sebastian