Book / Docs recomendation for getting going on embedded Linux ?

Hi,

I have been programming embedded systems without any OS for quite a number of years now. (From 8bit - up to 32-bit ). I am now looking at doing my first Embedded Linux based project. I have bought a UNC20 development system (Net+ARM with uLinux), and want to get one or more good books to get started. I have been using cygwin for the last 2 years or so, so I am quite familiar with bash etc. Initiallly I only need to get a console app going that has one or more periodic tasks, and that can talk to another system via a standard asynchronous serial port every 20 milli-seconds. Packet sizes for the comms are maximum 40 bytes, and I need to maintain a transmit jitter of less than 1ms. If I can do this with "Standard" system support, then it would be great. Any pointers gratefully received.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

As is constantly recommended here by other people, I will also commend Building Embedded Linux Systems - Karim Yaghmour OReilly books.

I'm only about half-way through it, but it's pretty much step by step exactly what I had to learn myself (before the book was published).

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Damion de Soto - Software Engineer email: snipped-for-privacy@snapgear.com SnapGear --- ph: +61 7 3435 2809 | Custom Embedded Solutions fax: +61 7 3891 3630 | and Security Appliances web:

--- Free Embedded Linux Distro at
---

Reply to
Damion de Soto

I think you can also check the following book out.

Embedded Linux: Hardware, Software, and Interfacing by Graig Hollabaugh Publisher: Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 1st edition ISBN:0672322269

"Anton Erasmus" ??? news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com ???...

Reply to
Shih-Ying Chou