ARM Linux on qemu-system-arm

I'm a student from Belgium. For on of my courses (Embedded Linux Systems) I need to compile a linux kernel and busybox for ARM and than simulate is with QEMU. The problem is that we have to find out everything by ourselves. So far I've been able to build a crosscompiler for ARM using the script from

. I successfully build the example file so I'm pretty sure that the crosscompiler works. I've also compiled linux-2.6.18 and busybox-1.7.2 with the ARM toolchain (without errors, but I don't know if the settings were right in menuconfig) I've created a ext2 File system image and copied the compiled busybox files to that filesystem. The problem is that if i use qemu-system-arm to test them, nothing happens.

What are the basic steps to get a linux kernel for ARM working on QEMU? Do I need an initrd file?

Reply to
DieterM