Any Cell BE programmers here?

I've become interested in the Cell as of late. Looking around to see what watering holes are worth spending time at. For those not sure what I'm referring to:

Cheers, Brandon Van Every

Reply to
Brandon J. Van Every

oranta

Aside from whether there's any significant clump of Cell BE programmers anywhere... I'd like to know if anyone is programming directly on the PS3 with a keyboard / mouse / monitor setup. I'm currently trying to get the IBM Cell SDK set up on my PC for cross-compilation and simulation, but I'm wondering if this is more trouble than it's worth.

Cheers, Brandon Van Every

Reply to
Brandon J. Van Every

I am doing some research on "virtual peripherals" (i.e. using the CPU to do the work of classical I/O hardware, which can save a lot of device cost, but (for decently fast stuff) is not doable with classical CPUs but needs multi-processor chips or multithreaded CPUs).

Here the Cell is an interesting, device as it has the potential to deliver huge multi-CPU power (e.g. using a BE for each virtual peripheral) with (supposedly) a fantastic price/performance ratio.

As it is not originally designed and announced as an "embedded" device, it is not recognized much in this segment. IMHO this should change.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

I thought it was always intended to go into Toshiba HDTVs. They're part of the 3-way venture after all.

Cheers, Brandon Van Every

Reply to
Brandon J. Van Every

Ah, thanks a lot ! I did not know about this yet.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

Setting up the SDK is not too bad. I had little experience with Linux and was able to do it.

Reply to
robers97

Hi,

CELL BE was created in collaboration between Sony/Toshiba/IBM (so called STI). Sony - for PS3 and future mobile game console Toshiba - HDTV processor etc IBM - supercomputers, storage cells, blades and embedded systems

I would recommend you to start with SDK. Follow the CELL BE forum thread to setup the environment. Play with several demos and try to bring up your own code.

IMHO, you shouldn't buy PS3 just to play with CELL BE, SDK is worth of that. You may also take a look at Mercury Systems for PCI-X card (CELL BE based) as an example of accelleration card and embedded solution.

If you have some code devel> Michael Schnell wrote:

Reply to
oranta