AMOLED reaches price parity with LCD and now costs less than LCD to produce

AMOLED reaches price parity with LCD and now costs less than LCD to produce

AMOLED reaches price parity with LCD and now costs less than LCD to produce

Most of the world's tablets and smartphones use LCD display costing in the range $15 to $30.

They are mostly LCDs at present because LCDs were the cheapest ways to make colour displays.

Thats now all changed.

OLED displays have been slow to evolve, but its taken off in a masive way recently and is ready to displace all LCDs due to cost.

The common basic OLED display is two layers of paint that glow when electricity is applied across the two layers. A simple transistor is placed next to each pixel to mak it into an AMOLED (Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode) so that it is easier to switch each pixel on and off.

The colour device doesn't need a complex light box and backlight system which wastes a lot of electricity regardless of how many pixels are lit.

AMOLEDs consume power depending on how many pixels are lit.

That makes them much more power efficient.

They are also faster at turning on and off and so video doesn't fog as the action speeds up.

They can be printed on to flexible tape which means they can be wrapped around curved objects.

So if you creating a lot of Linux gadgets, be sure to ask for AMOLEDs first. These devices are daylight visible, have much darker black colour, and lighting up just a few pixels to indicate a status for example, wastes far less power than an LCD display.

Within a year or two, LCDs are going to be hard to purchase. Standing still and doing nothing is not an option.

Reply to
7

But with X11 handling the graphics, it still performs like shit!

LCD or AMOLED!

Reply to
Saint George

In the small sizes, anyway. Still cool. I would like to see large OLED televisions become more affordable. This LCD-backlit LED stuff we've got today is far from ideal.

--
"Google *already* has replaced open source Android with a
closed-source proprietary core."  -  trolling fsckwit "Ezekiel", lying

Shit. I got that backwards, obviously. LED-backlit LCD's, is what we've got.

-- 'Most people are against gay marriage and think a gay "lifestyle" is disgusting. Which it is, of course. And most people are against Linux and think a Linux "lifestyle" is disgusting. Which it also is, of course.' - "DFS"

Reply to
chrisv