Why does it get hot?

I have a Hardrive that get's very hot and locks up after a time. It works ok in another machine but not in mine. The 2 machines are virtually identical ie:mainboards,cpu's and power supplies.

I have posted about this before and it was suggested that my power supply is inadequate for the job.

What I would like to know is - If the power supply is not supplying enough power would that explain why the HD is getting hot? I would have thought that if there was not enough power it would just not run properly (if at all) and rather than get hotter it would run cooler. Wouldn't it get hotter if it was drawing too much power rather than being supplied too little? Cheers Sky

Reply to
Sky

ok

Identical in cases and interior cable layout? Perhaps the HDD in box #1 isn't getting the same airflow?

Reply to
Privacy, please

--
Clue: Measure the voltage(s) and take the guesswork out of it.
Reply to

Rather than speculate - get the multimeter - equipment essential to hardware repair - and measure those voltages. Chart of what to measure is in:

Motors run hotter if you starve them of voltage. A motor can be burned out if run > I have a Hardrive that get's very hot and locks up after a time.

Reply to
w_tom

works

identical

I've used it with the case open and with a house fan right next to it and it still gets hot. I also tried another HD (27Gb I think) and it also became hotter than I would have expected in a short space of time and I took it off before it could lock up. So the problem does seem to be with my system somewhere.

Reply to
Sky

[snip]

HD motors are most likely EC (electronically-commutated) motors, so my guess is the voltage is too *high*.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

ok

identical

is

enough

I measured the voltages and and they showed 5v and 12v.

Reply to
Sky

I did measure the voltages and they showed 12v and 5v but I shall look at the link you so kindly posted and find out if I was doing it properly.

Reply to
Sky

I see. I am going to look at the link Tom posted and measure the voltages again, I shall report back. Cheers

Reply to
Sky

Did you measure them under load?

That is, with the hard drive connected and operating.

--
John Fields
Reply to

The plug has to be connected to the drive while the voltage is being tested or the reading could be inaccurate.

But I suppose you already know that.

Easy way to that is with a "Y" connector.

Jack

Reply to
J. Yazel

Oh well, it's irrelevant now as I've sold the system and bought a new one with a nice big HD. Yippee!

Reply to
Sky

Low Voltage usually = High Current = Heat..... Swap the supply and see if the problem goes...Also check all the connectors / connections including the Mother Board which could have a cold solder joint on the +5vdc. Good Luck, Ross

ok

is

Reply to
Ross Mac

Thanks for the reply Ross. I've actually sold the machine now but the person who has it is aware of the situation. I will do as you advise though as it would be nice to get to the bottom of the problem.

Cheers Sky

connectors

works

identical

supply

enough

not

being

Reply to
Sky

You need airflow!

Ken

works ok

identical

supply is

enough

not

being

Reply to
Arthur Jernberg

In article , snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net mentioned...

The hard drive does not work like an AC motor. It is a DC motor, as is the power supplied to the HD. This power is regulated, and if the voltages fall out of regulation, there is something major wrong with the power supply. So the word brown-out doesn't apply.

The most likely reason for overheating is lack of ventilation. Fix the fans!

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:13:26 +0100, "Sky" Gave us:

If the systems are otherwise identical, I would simply replace your power supply with a dual fan job, and be done with it.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:40:48 +0100, "Sky" Gave us:

Hahahah funny. Throw money at it.

Hell, throw money at us...

Reply to
DarkMatter