What type of wires for speakers?

--
Don't they let you use magnet wire tables in the UK?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

If you want to know the size of a wire, why not use the size, instead of a silly translation table called awg???

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Who needs a table when it comes specified by diameter or CSA ? The calculations need no table.

Besides, over here it was once SWG (standard wire gauge) not AWG.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Every wire here is specified in mm or mm2. What could be simpler ?

The metric system really is very good you know although I do still use inches and feet for some everyday measures.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Because the manufactures make AWG wire in the US, not Metric, silly.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

--- Since magnet wire is usually used for electrical rather than structural purposes, more often than not one would want to know the resistance per unit length, in which case one would need a silly little table to get the size anyway, unless one happened to memorize the resistivity of copper and could work out the required diameter from the length.

On a more personal note, for my purposes and for my customers AWG works out just fine, so it's not like all of a sudden I'm going to throw out all of my wire and replace it with metric just to accede to demands for political correctness from you right pondians.

JF

Reply to
John Fields

--
Resistance per unit length, Graham, is usually the criterion by which
the diameter is determined and, as I stated in another post, unless you

and

--
An ounce of pot? Not likely...

A cup of tea?

A pint of ale?

A Pound, Sterling?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

your

To be fair, many Chinese manufactureres can source AWG wire to humour the Americans who haven't heard of the metric system yet.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You're saying you can't do basic resistance calculation from raw data ? You have to use a 'table' ? Grow up John.

This is the 21st century.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

calculations

Normally specified on metric data sheets. If not, the calculation is trivial

The most indebted nation on the earth actually.

Why not ?

Frankly we should be in charge of it. Like the Empire. There's more than few nations like Poland and the Czech Republic that would like to see us take a more prominent role. Especially as we provide virtually all the military cover for the EU.

You know - there's this thing called EFTA that contains most of the richest European nations. Tempting isn't it.

We used to belong to it btw. As far as I'm concerned, France, Germany, Spain and Italy can go f*ck themselves.

Except we want French reactors.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

and

I've barely an idea what an ounce is anymore unless I seriously think about it.

Pot ? Would you care to clarify ? If you mean cannabis, certainly not for 10 years or more and I never liked smoking it anyway.

I don't drink tea except in China. They have nice flower teas there.

Bigger than yours !

Worth one heck of a lot more than some US dollar.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes, there is a difference. The Monster cables are more expensive.

16 gauge 'speaker' wire has the same capacity for current (what actually drives your speaker cones) as 16 gauge house extension cords - but which one is cheaper? If I really cared at all I'd simply get a 14 gauge extension power cord and cut the ends off and use that to hook up my speakers.

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

your

Americans

--
It's not a question of whether or not we've heard of it, it's a question
of whether or not we choose to use it and, often, we choose not to.

If that bothers you then that's _your_ problem.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

your

have to

--
No, dumb ass, I'm saying that it's _easier_ to get it from a copper wire
table.

Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge
Reply to
John Fields

your

calculations

--
Called copper wire tables.
Reply to

inches and

years or

--
I'm sure.

Some poor souls' paranoia and guilt runs rampant behind THC.
Reply to
John Fields

The right-wing under Thatcher ensured the near total destruction of our manufacturing economy. Companies like GEC that built many of our early ones simply no longer exist.

See any similarities going on over your way ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

have to

It's actually easier to use mm2 directly in the equation, ah but you don't use the metric system do you ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

have to

the

--
Yes, of course I do, when it suits me, but you don't use the English
system, do you?

JF
Reply to
John Fields