What's a Green Neon Lamp?

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Robert Baer wrote (in ) about 'What's a Green Neon Lamp?', on Tue, 20 Jan 2004:

The blue and UV output from neon is pretty weak at normal current densities. Green tubes containing just neon may have a short life due to higher than normal current.

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Robert Baer wrote (in ) about 'What's a Green Neon Lamp?', on Tue, 20 Jan 2004:

It can't convert red light to green light! There must be light with quanta more energetic than green ones to excite the phosphor. So, blue or UV.

Anyone got a spectrum of an NE-2?

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

The "neons" we got from Japan most certainly did not have neon fill. Observed from the end, the glow was bluish, much like a discharge in Argon gas. As well as green, we got ones with a blue phosphor. Quite a treat in those days.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Cheap surge protection coming down the antenna ?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Aurora, Ontario

Reply to
Boris Mohar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.contraspam.yuk mentioned...

Well, the peak voltage of 120VRMS is 162V or something, so the striking voltage must be higher than that. And I don't care what the striking voltage is, they don't work in this app. The store sells them as NE-2 lamps.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

The partial pressure of the Helium in a HeNe laser is very small, so it doesn't have any really great push to make it migrate through the glass. But it does migrate through the glass. If you put the laser tube in a bag full of He at 1ATM pressure, the pressure in the bag is drastically higher than the partial pressure of the helium in the tube. The He will start to migrate back into the tube. In about 1 to 2 weeks time, there will be a normal load of He in the laser tube.

The He atom is so small, that it can pass through the intermolecular spaces in just about any material.

Neon, on the other hand, is a big plump atom, and cannot pass through the tiny intermolecular spaces in normal glass.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

In article , snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.contraspam.yuk mentioned...

In the case of the reference oven lamp and the range indicator lamps, the resistance is 56.2k, which is twice what I've seen for the usual

30k resistors used in pilot lamps. So the current isn't excessive in either. The overcurrent indicator is 200k, so I can't go much higher than that.
--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Boris Mohar wrote (in ) about 'What's a Green Neon Lamp?', on Tue, 20 Jan 2004:

Yes. Those WW2 aircraft radios in black boxes (BC454?) had two or three protecting different stages, IIRC. Or were some acting as g2 voltage regulators?

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

Look at the glass, by the leads. The type number should be molded into the glass.

--
We now return you to our normally scheduled programming.

Take a look at this little cutie! ;-)
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/photos.html

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Many (if not most) "Neons" are actually Neon-Argon (although the mix varies). I use them as a calibration source for spectroscopy. A few strong yellow-red-orange lines dominate the spectrum. You might be able to see some of the other lines using a CD (finally a use for AOL discs!) as a diffraction grating in a dark room. I can only see the red orange and yellow lines like this, but the neon I'm trying has an orange window in front of it.

for a pretty picture of the lines (Java based simulation) try:

or in text form:

The green neons I have seen are dimmer than the orange ones - I assumed at the time they were just filtered - as you can see from the spectra, this would work.

--
Chris
-----

Get a better InGaN green LED, feed it with a fullwave bridge rectifier that has a 220K or whatever resistor in series with one of the AC leads. Be surprised at how much light you get with half a milliamp. Be surprised with how much light you get at 1/4 milliamp (use a 470K resistor).

Don Klipstein

For really good aging, use the maximum resistor that reliably results with the electrodes being fully covered or very nearly fully covered with glow. Maybe go somewhat less for a little more brightness if this makes the resistor really high.

NE-2 lamps want 150K-220K. NE-2H, which is different, is rated 20K or

25K hours with 33K and 5K hours with 22K (with 120 volts AC).

Don Klipstein

Argon does not make significant amounts of that kind of UV... I think it's a mixture with krypton or xenon. The krypton or xenon is a minority ingredient in the mixture but that's the way it works best for producing shortwave UV. The krypton or xenon (xenon works better) is usually mixed with neon but I have seen argon used for that purpose. It is easy for the neon-xenon mixture to glow with an argon-like color.

You will have to examine a spectrum of the glow to know what is actually in there. Been there, done that.

Don Klipstein

Possibly the clunkers were of a different design intended for 220-240V? Maybe they had Krypton-85 or something else radioactive (and with a limited half life) to help them start? Maybe they had imperfect seals and air leaked in over the decades (I have seen a batch of glow lamps like that and a batch of xenon flashtubes like that in an older electronics surplus store).

Maybe they were the special design neon lamps from Kodak "Max" one-time-use camera boards (or similar), and that one actually requires something like 270 volts to light.

Maybe they were just bad or rejects.

Don Klipstein

Since atmospheric pressure is in the ballpark of 100 times that of the helium that was inside, it supposedly takes as little as weeks to restore a HeNe laser tube that requires a "helium bath".

True NE-2 has the "traditional" mixture of 99.5% neon .5% argon. I have heard that in some lamps (other than NE-2) with this mixture, after enough run time argon ions embed themselves into the glass and you get purer neon. A neon lamp with pure neon sometimes requires favorable electrode material, photoelectric effect, radioactive material, or whatever to start on 120 VAC.

You can't replace argon by soaking a lamp in it the way I heard for helium. At least the argon does not escape or get lost when the lamp is not running.

Don Klipstein

Neon does not make that kind of UV. Green neon lamps contain a mixture of (usually) neon and xenon (Yes, I do know what the spectra of helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and glow lamps of all colors look like). Xenon produces the shortwave UV, and does so best at a pressure of a fraction of a mm Hg. Pure xenon won't strike at just a few hundred volts or less, so they mix it with neon. The neon does not interfere much with xenon doing the radiating since the energy levels in a xenon atom are lower than those of a neon atom.

True. And I have seen neon signs with pure neon and green-glowing phosphor (in tubing labelled "green" even!). They glow orange, just a little less red than pure neon in clear tubing. This is true at the ends where negative/cathode glow (what you see in the smaller glow lamps) exists as well as where there is a main discharge column. Pure neon does not make enough shortwave UV to make a lamp with green-glowing phosphor appear green.

Don Klipstein

Thanks for the info. I've run white LEDs off a couple hundred microamps and they glow reasonably bright. Right now, I'm just happy to get the NE-2 replaced in a couple places in two PSes, and as a pilot lite in another couple PSes. The problem is that these are soldered in and it's hard do get to them to unsolder the leads, in fact, the HP 6216 PSes are so brittle that I'm afraid to pop the case off, for fear of shattering it into splinters. The cases are *that* brittle.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@

Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

Nothing on any of them, I checked with my 10X magnifier. On two of them there was a smudge of a green dot next to one of the leads. I wonder what that signifies.

Thanks.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

Just what I like: big, plump atoms! My favorite is oxygen..

I've heard that helium at cryo temperatures creeps out of the vessel, so it's a strange beast. But I didn't know about the HeNe laser leaking. A friend of mine in high school wanted to make a HeNe laser so bad he had the tubes blown out of glass and was working on getting the brewster windows. But his mom was cleaning his bedroom and smashed the glass. :-( Jeez, that was back when the only lasers were HeNe, like the mid '60s, maybe. Lasers had been around only a few years.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

I can attest to the fact that a typical xenon strobe lamp can produce a great deal of ultraviolet- I used them to make UV strobe lights for planetarium light shows. It also helps a lot that most people's eyes are dark adjusted for the shows too.

Cheers!

Chip Shults

Reply to
Sir Charles W. Shults III