What's a Green Neon Lamp?

I found some replacement lamps for the neon lamps that are in the HP power supplies that I got off Ebay. They're distributed by Linrose, the company that has those lousy LED displays at Fry's. I bought a regular red neon for $3 something, but the green neon is about $5, and obviously it's not neon because neon is red. So what gas is used in those green ones? It has a green crystal on the front, but I don't think the lamp itself is anything other than green because the light shining thru the white translucent barrel behind the crystal is green.

I wonder how long the new lamps will hold up. Maybe a few tens of thousands of hours? I wonder if the green is any longer or shorter than the regular neon lamps? Hmmm.

Any ideas? Thanks.

For a look, scroll down to the 115V lamps at this URL

@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Subject: line with other stuff.  alondra101  hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

Possibly argon/mercury, or xenon/neon with green phosphor on the inside of the bulb (since you say the bulb is white translucent, not clear, my vote is for the latter). No idea on longevity.

Reply to
Garrett Mace

They use phosphor inside the tube, the gas itself probably glows UV.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

is

Eh...nevermind it's probably got phosphor inside either way. In any case I'm just Googling for you.

Reply to
Garrett Mace

In article , snipped-for-privacy@macetech.com mentioned...

Thanks. I should have said that the sleeve that holds the lamp and resistor is translucent. I can't see the lamp itself because the sleeve is sealed, but the red lamp sleeves that I sawed apart to install the LEDs in had a regular NE-2 and a 30k resistor. I really like the blue LED ones, only problem is that I have to run new wiring to the filter cap in the power supply. If you use an ultrabright illumination grade LED, keep the current down to just milliamp or so.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

Most green neon lamps have a mixture of neon and xenon, mostly neon. But most of the radiation is of xenon wavelengths, mainly the 147 nm very short wave ultraviolet line that is best obtained with low xenon pressure. The bulb is coated on the inside with a phosphor that fluoresces green from shortwave UV.

The mini green neon lamps in Radio Shack's green neon "cartridges" have a neon-krypton mixture rather than a neon-xenon mixture.

- Don Klipstein ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com,

Don Klipstein

Sony used these in their old linear sequence tuner modules for Trinitrons and Betamaxes. They are phosphor based.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

I have used neon lamps enclosed in such a barrel, with different coloured lenses.

In fact, some neon lamps come enlosed in a complete "green" barrel. I used them to indicate that there is a potential between phase and ground (on power distribution panels for powering amplifier racks and such). I'd use red neons to indicate potential between phases (208V)

Check these out:

?Menu=/English/Content/Categories/CatM_43.asp%26Detail=/English/Content/Divisions/Div_43_150.asp

(sorry for the long link, cut and paste it I guess if it doesn't come out in your newsreader.)

--
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada

> I wonder how long the new lamps will hold up.  Maybe a few tens of
> thousands of hours?  I wonder if the green is any longer or shorter
> than the regular neon lamps?  Hmmm.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks.
>
> For a look, scroll down to the 115V lamps at this URL
> http://www.action-electronics.com/linrose.htm
>
> --
> @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
> ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
> http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
> My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
> goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
> Subject: line with other stuff.  alondra101  hotmail.com
> Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
> that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
> http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
> Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
> changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
> @@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Myron Samila

The ones I've seen in pilot lamps are NE-2 style envelopes but are filled instead with an argon mixture that glows blue and emits UV. the inside of the tube is coated with a green phosphor. Lumex is one manufacturer that comes to mind

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

In article , snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com mentioned...

Wow, thanks, Don. I went over to a local electronics store and asked the guy at the counter if he had any NE-2 neon lamps. He went down the aisle, and pulled out a box, and turned it upside down, and said sorry, nothing in stock. Then he said, but there's some neon lamps down there, in a big pile of stuff. I sorted thru handfuls of neon lamps, most of them having a 100k resistor, and found some without, so bought a half dozen of them.

I got home and pulled the power supply apart and unsoldered the old one and installed one of the ones I bought. Turned it on, and nothing. No light. So I said, I wonder of the others work? I got out a suicide cord and a 47k resistor and alli clipped another one of the ones I just bought and plugged it in. Nothing! Same for the other four! I measured across them with the DMM and the full 116 or so VAC was across each! And they didn't glow at all. Cheese! I got screwed! They're all DOA! So I had to unsolder the one in the PS and I scrounged up an old NE-2 from the junkbox and installed it in the PS. I didn't notice if the crap on the shelves was marked AS-IS, so I can't take it back for exchange. Dirty rats! What little I know about statistics tells me that it is statistically improbable that I could pull 5 or 6 of those out of a pile of good ones and get all bad ones, in other words it is statistically probable that all or most of them in the pile are bad.

Ya know, this is Deja Vu all over again. I've bought stuff in that store before and had bought bad parts, one would think that I would've learned my lesson by now. The crap is bad! Don't buy it! But no, I did it again. I seldom go to that store, so I guess I've developed an aversion to it. After you've stuck your hand in the fire, you kind of develop an aversion to getting burned again. But no, I got burned again. Oh, well. Maybe I'll go to Radio Scrap, where at least I can take it back if it's bad.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@no.spam.sympatico.ca mentioned...

message

lenses.

them to

distribution panels

potential between

Hey! You da man! Came thru with not one, but two URLs. The one above says 'Tell us what you need.' Well, I'll tell you what I need. I need an indicator lamp that lasts as long as the rest of the equipment that it's in, and runs off a hundred or so volts. And draws ony a few hundred microamps. The problem is that these old PSes were designed before LEDs were commonly available, so adapting the circuit to use LEDs is _not_ easily done. The voltage is too high and the current is too low. So I guess the best and most sensible thing to do is just replace them with another NE-2 and hope it lasts another five or more years. The old NE-2s that I'm taking out have turned almost completely dark, and barely glow or don't glow at all. I guess that's because they're on all the time, even when the equipment is turned off. So a few years from now they'll have tens of thousands of hours on them.

Thanks.

?Menu=/English/Content/Categories/CatM_43.asp%26Detail=/English/Content/Divisions/Div_43_150.asp

your

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dslextreme.com (Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover):

I'm sure this doesn't apply to NE-2 lamps, but in hard-sealed He-Ne laser tubes, after a while the helium passivates right though the glass, and the tube ceases to function because there is not enough helium inside to initiate light amplification.

The "quick fix" is to suspend the "old" tube in a bath of helium gas, and the molecules will slowly migrate back thorough the glass and the tube will start working again.

Perhaps in these tubes, an element has migrated right through the glass, rendering them useless?

Reply to
Mark J.

In article , "Mark J." mentioned...

Well, two things. If it took years to get out od the glass, it will take years to get back in, no? And if He gets out of a sealed glass tube, what do you put it in that won't leak? I know for certain that a balloon will let the He out in less than a day, so I'd say maybe a half inch thick steel container? That's how it comes at the student activities dept on our campus, where they throw a lot of parties and inflate hundreds of balloons every few weeks. Man, it scares me to go into that place, 'cause the helium tank is just standing there, and if it fell over and the brass valve on top got broken off, it would jet itself right thru the walls!

Well, there's no helium. But I've read that there's a small amount of radioactive material in there to help start the breakdown at a low voltage. If that poops out after a few dozen years, then the lamp would breakdown at a much higher voltage. But the really old NE-2s I pulled out of the junk box and hooked up worked fine after a few dozen years!

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Mark J. wrote (in ) about 'What's a Green Neon Lamp?', on Tue, 20 Jan 2004:

diffuses

[snip]

They may have a striking voltage higher than 120 V. I'd want to try them from a 250 V supply with a 220 kohm series resistor.

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

Many cheap HeNe lamps don't survive for even 6 months. That's why piles of them end up in surplus stores for $0.02 each.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

what purpose do they serve in the tuner? ive allways seen them there and wondered.

inside of

vote

case I'm

Reply to
Dave T.

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Watson A. Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover wrote (in ) about 'What's a Green Neon Lamp?', on Mon, 19 Jan 2004:

Yes.

You can increase the life by increasing the series resistance. The value used originally is often set to 'get a nice bright light' rather than to get long life and you may be able to go to double the value and still get a stable discharge. If you get flickering, the resistance is too big.

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Reply to
John Woodgate

You are incorrect on the "obviously". There *ARE* green neon bulbs, and they are called neon because they use neon; no other gas. The "magic" is the fact that the inner part of the glass envelope is coated with... ...phosphor!

Reply to
Robert Baer

You are incorrect. There *ARE* green neon bulbs, and they are called neon because they use neon; no other gas. The "magic" is the fact that the inner part of the glass envelope is coated with... ...phosphor!

Reply to
Robert Baer

No UV in the neon glow; the phosphor does the conversion.

Reply to
Robert Baer