Voltage Dropper question

Hi there,

This is a basic question about electrics I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with. I have a 24V 20AH LiPo battery I am planning to use for a device that runs at 12V. I am planning on using a voltage dropper that takes 24V down to 12V and gives two cigarette lighter outlets at 4A x 2 or 8A x 1. The battery has a rated discharging current of 20 Amps. If the battery gives out 20A and I am only pulling max 8A is there a dangerous heat build-up / discharge likely to blow the voltage dropper? Does 20A flow from the battery even though there is nothing to consume it or is it on 'tap' and just taken when required by a device using the battery? Hopefully the question makes sense.

Thanks.

Reply to
ocallaghan.jim

Hi there,

This is a basic question about electrics I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with. I have a 24V 20AH LiPo battery I am planning to use for a device that runs at 12V. I am planning on using a voltage dropper that takes 24V down to 12V and gives two cigarette lighter outlets at 4A x 2 or 8A x 1. The battery has a rated discharging current of 20 Amps. If the battery gives out 20A and I am only pulling max 8A is there a dangerous heat build-up / discharge likely to blow the voltage dropper? Does 20A flow from the battery even though there is nothing to consume it or is it on 'tap' and just taken when required by a device using the battery? Hopefully the question makes sense.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jim

The 8A rating on the "dropper" should represent a current that could be continuously drawn through the device under its rated ambient environmental conditions without hazard.

The battery only supplies what's called for by the loads connected to it. If your dropper is a linear regulator then, to a first approximation, current in from the battery equals current out to the load. If it's a switching regulator, it will be somewhat more efficient, by taking less current (at a higher voltage) to supply more current (at a lower voltage).

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Thanks for the reply Rich - that clarifies things.

Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim