Vacuum cleaners and computers

Is it OK to use a vacuum cleaner right next to a computer? Could the vacuum cleaner generate magnetic fields strong enough to affect the hard drive or RAM or anything else in the computer?

Reply to
curious

Yes.

Could the

Maximum damage is shop vac plugged in to same aleady overburdoned circuit, and it may then trip a breaker or something. Which may cause a particularly crappy and overloaded computer power supply to die. (very unlikely) Ok so maximum damage is vacuum cleaner knocks computer off desk, and cause an accident of the humpty dumpty nature. :)

The magnents inside a hard drive are so powerful, that if you put one on the palm of your hand, and the other on the back of your hand, the two magnents will stick together. Most technicians have no fear of a magnetic screwdriver near a hard drive.

Ram is based on electrostatic charges, not magnetism. So no risk there.

Interference on a wireless network is possible, I suppose. But I don't really think so.

Reply to
paulmd

I took apart a SCSI drive last year.

The magnets:

As soon as they got near each other...they just flew out of my hands and stuck together ... I had to pry them apart with a screw driver!

philo

They make killer refrigerator magnets, hang your kid's biggest art project, maybe the whole kid. :)

PS, the trick is to SLIDE them apart. it's quite beyond human strength to pull them straight apart.

Reply to
paulmd

Generally, yes.

Generally no. is the computer a bit flakey?

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

I was walking up to the fridge... but the magnet just pulled it over !!!!! >G<

NOW you tell me!

I eventually figured that out!

philo

Try the MicroSoft Vacuum Cleaner. Their only product that doesn't suck.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,

Well, it should.....

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Vacuum cleaners mak great static electricity generators, particularly if the humidity is very low. I would be very careful of getting the vacuum within an inch or more of tha case as a massive ESD can damage circuits and shorten their life.

John

curious wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

There's a patch for MVC (Microsoft Vacuum Cleaner) 2.0. The product is then guaranteed to suck.

Reply to
Merrill P. L. Worthington

The vacuum cleaner cannot damage the computer. Just use it on a different outlet, in case it causes any dip or interference when it is switched on. It can have the same effect as an air conditioner sharing the same outlet with the computer.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA