UV lamps vs corona discharge...

Hi everyones...thanks for your time. I wish to make a large ozone generator and i'm wondering if one of those two methods (see subject line) produces less byproduct (like nitrous oxyde) than the other ? Maybe i'm wrong and pure oxygen MUST be used to not have any byproducts...not shure. Any comments? TIA for any replies.

-- Alain(alias:Kilowatt) Montréal Québec PS: 1000 excuses for grammatical errors or omissions, i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-) Come to visit me at:

(If replying also by e-mail, remove "no spam" from the adress.)

Reply to
KILOWATT

I surely think that 184.9 nm UV produces more ozone and less NOx than coronas, sparks/arcs, etc...

Do not confuse 184.9 nm, the shorter and secondary of the two main shortwave UV wavelengths of a low pressure mercury discharge, with 253.7 nm which is the main one but basically useless for intentional ozone generation. The main application of 253.7 nm is germicidal use.

Don Klipstein

generator

Just be aware that ozone is a lung irritant and levels used to clean air (for example) are a hazard to health. Very bad for you if you have asthma etc. I believe it also effects some rubber and plastic insulation.

Reply to
CWatters

Yes. Ozone is absolute murder on rubber. And lungs.

Reply to
Michael

Ozone is indeed a major cause of rubber deterioration. Latex is especially affected. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Also be aware that if your ozone generator reaches 12% purity, it will explode. :-(( You will indeed need pure oxygen for levels above a per cent or so.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Hi...everyones thanks for you replies. Yes i'm aware of the danger of ozone. I won't do high volumes shock treatments in a place where there's some people/pets/plants of course! This said, i was happy to read your reply Don. What you described really seems to be what i've bought... thanks for your time.

=STRK:MEWN:IT

generator

Reply to
KILOWATT