Using red-sensitive film with a plotter

Hi all,

I've just seen the red-light sensitive film that Mega sells

along with a very expensive laser photoplotter.

It occurred to me that the film may be useful on its own, combined with an old flatbed plotter (I knew I shouldn't have sold it!) and a laser module. I suppose a CNC machine would work too (but if I could afford one I'd just cut the board itself).

The laser could be focused to a good point and turned on and off with the pen up/down signal.

The only catches I can see is that the whole operation needs to be carried out in a darkroom (Mega sell green safety lights for it). Also, the film is quite expensive just to trial it as you have to buy a pack of 50 sheets for £95.

Anyone tried this?

Rick.

Reply to
Rick

Very interesting! Why not regular film and a white LED?

...Jim Thompson

Hmm...

Do you mean photographic negative film (like for a large-format camera) or something else?

I never though of using ordinary photo film like that - I have some around somewhere (in the loft I think) - wonder if it's UV opaque when exposed (and not when not!) I must dig it out and find out.

Of course, what I really want is a focussed UV laser to draw straight on to the sensitised board.

Rick.

Reply to
Rick

There was an almost identical photoplotting scheme sold as a proprietry product in the UK, about 15 years ago.

It was based around the Roland DXY1100/1200 plotter (which was an A3 flatbed with electrostatic paper grip). The high power UV source (about 500W) was in a separate fan-cooled box. A 1/4" glass fibre-optic bundle connected the two, plugging into the pen-holder of the plotter. I do not know what the optics were on the pen-end, but pen ran in contact with the film, with the normal pen-lift of the plotter apparently enough to reduce the UV to obtain a good light/dark contrast.

The UV film was quite sensitive (compared with other UV films), and it did require handling in semi dark-room conditions to avoid fogging. I suppose this sensitivity was needed to get good exposure at reasonable pen speeds and to avoid having to overplot.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Line film would be better because it is less sensitive and has a high gamma?, so develops to black or clear, with no intermediate grey scale. It is often green-sensitive, which conveniently allows working in the darkroom with an ordinary red safelight.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

Hey, I never thought of a fibre optic guide for the UV - must be special glass to transmit it though (crown?)

I had a DPX2000 plotter (A2 flatbed) a little while ago, but sold it on eBay because I didn't have room for it. I really regret it now!!!

Reply to
Rick