Using a modem bought in the USA, in Brazil?

hi.

Since here in Brazil I can only find winmodems, or ISA modems (most modern motherboards don't have ISA slots), and I need a modem that works on any OS, I am considering buying a "real" modem in any 'online' shop that has them.

Q: Will a modem bought in the USA work in Brazil?

(I need a real modem. Winmodems are not appropriate for this application)

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
MSN: wizard_of_yendor[@]hotmail[.]com http://marreka.no-ip.com

Good question. I don't know. In the mid-70s, when I was designing modems, there were two sets of frequencies, US and International.

But that was back in the 1200 baud days.

Ask your ISP.

(I just had to buy a new modem (for faxing) since my P2 crashed and the new machine only has PCI slots, no more ISA. I got a US Robotics v.92 for US$34.95)

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson, Jim Thompson, Jim Thompson.... did you really write this article () in newsgroup (comp.dcom.modems) at the date of (Sat, 07 Aug 2004 11:38:48 -0700)?

[USA modems in Brazil]

My ISP don't know, their support sucks. But since it's a free ISP...

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
MSN: wizard_of_yendor[@]hotmail[.]com http://marreka.no-ip.com
"You're guilty; the punishment is death for all who live."
                -- Iron Maiden, "Out Of The Silent Planet"
Reply to
Chaos Master

What kind of modem are you using to connect right now?

Aha! This website

says that v.90 modems work also in Latin America and Brazil. (Scroll down the page and watch out for the popups :)

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson, Jim Thompson, Jim Thompson.... did you really write this article () in newsgroup (comp.dcom.modems) at the date of (Sat, 07 Aug 2004 13:49:33 -0700)?

HSP MicroModem 56 (a winmodem).

Good. This is some help

Thanks

--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
MSN: wizard_of_yendor[@]hotmail[.]com http://marreka.no-ip.com
"You're guilty; the punishment is death for all who live."
                -- Iron Maiden, "Out Of The Silent Planet"
Reply to
Chaos Master

From the notes I have, a US Robotics V90 series should work for you. I never tried this, so I would not want to guarantee the accuracy of my notes. Why not use an outboard modem? This would be better than a card type. Put a few serial ports out to the rear of the machine, and go that route. The serial ports can normally be accessed directly from a dos software, or at the system prompt level.

There were some older ISA type modems that were directly accessible from the system prompt. Many of the new ones that are the PCI type cannot be directly accessed. But, like you said, ISA type socketed boards are very scarce these days.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Chaos Master"  wrote in message
hi.

Since here in Brazil I can only find winmodems, or ISA modems (most modern
motherboards don't have ISA slots), and I need a modem that works on any OS,
am considering buying a "real" modem in any 'online' shop that has them.

Q: Will a modem bought in the USA work in Brazil?

(I need a real modem. Winmodems are not appropriate for this application)

[]s
Reply to
Jerry G.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says in the message :

This is what I am looking for, an external modem.

Chaos, coming from a Gravity reinstall

Reply to
Chaos Master

FWIW, Multitech shows a number of models as "Approved" in Brazil.

gives the list of approvals and has information on the modems. The chart at shows what "localization kit" to use in different countries, and it indicates that the "US/NAM" kit works in Brazil, which makes life simple as that's what comes with the US-market Multitech modems.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)