Universal Remote

Does anyone have any experience with the X10 iconRemote?

I have a TV, DVD player, Digital Cable Box, and TiVo. I like the look of it, but I am unfamiliar with the company.

Any input is welcome.

Reply to
bennysmithisgod

The company is not generally well regarded as a consequence of some of their advertising practices regarding popup ads ~5 or so years ago.

For many Internet users, X10 came to epitomize invasive and bothersome Internet marketing...

However, this is not a reflection on the products themselves, but rather the marketing department.

As far as the products, I had some of their original home automation switches something like 10-15 years ago (might still have them in a box in the basement), sold through Radio Shack at the time, and my opinion was that they were perfectly functional although not an exceptional value at the regular price. I've not used any of their IR remote control products.

Reply to
Terran Melconian

I haven't tried the Icon remote (it's a little bit pricey), but their previous generation remote controls are OK. I have a couple that are

4-5 years old and still working.

John

Reply to
John

I went out and bought the icon remote sometime ago, completely on a whim. I have to admit to liking it so far. I wasn't really aware of X10's reputation regarding their marketing practices, but from the look of it, some things never change ; ) Great remote though.

Reply to
bennysmithisgod