UHF tuner to comp video and sound

I require a UHF tuner which produces composite video and sound in either a module or to build as part of a larger box.

Whilst I am fairly aware of UHF and IF techniques but I am badly out of touch of what is on the market and would value some steers as to ease of design and costs.

This would be for medium scale production in the 1,000 per year mark. Cost is therefore important.

Many thanks in advance of any help. BTW I am in the UK.

Reply to
Fred

Philips Temic maybe the same company now. mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
mike

Cost

I have been told about Philips and am looking for details now.

I was not aware about Temic devices in this area. Have they changed name?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Cost

With more and more people opting for a monitor - tuner seperate installation these units are now available cheap. If you want to make your own then it is fairly trivial using a bought tuner that is I2C driven (you also get some with an analogue 0 -12 volt V to F), these produce line output audio and one volt composite video, you can use a PIC micro to produce the tuning info and get the PIC to drive an LCD for channel number or whatever else you need. At

1000 per year volumes are not enough to interest most manufacturers and volumes are too high to "do it from home" so I think my advise would be to buy one that is suitable off the shelf assuming you are talking off the shelf frequencies and facilities.

If you want to suck it and see then take the tuner out of an old video.

149762

THese guys make the tuners

Reply to
Mjolinor

installation

is

one

and

At

862&design=clean&language=en&action=GetSupplier&page=supplier/Homepage&suppl

ier_id=6008800757935&action=GetPoint&point_id=3000000149681&point_id=3000000

I was told many year ago about an I2C controlled tuner and this type of solution would be ideal. I need a MMI in any case for the selection and storage of channels.

I am slightly reluctant to use asian imports because of the uncertainty of design change and long term availability. This product would have a life span of more that 1 year ideally 3 or more. What's your eperience?

Reply to
Fred

either

of

of

it

some

need.

862&design=clean&language=en&action=GetSupplier&page=supplier/Homepage&suppl

ier_id=6008800757935&action=GetPoint&point_id=3000000149681&point_id=3000000

The Philips FQ1216ME would be a part number of interest to you. I have used the FI1216MK2 (PAL) but the FQ is a multistandard replacement.(Got some but haven't used them yet, smaller footprint) The last ones we got were from Phillips in the UK, which may be handy to you..

HTHs Greg the Grog

Reply to
Grog

either

of

of

it

some

need.

862&design=clean&language=en&action=GetSupplier&page=supplier/Homepage&suppl

ier_id=6008800757935&action=GetPoint&point_id=3000000149681&point_id=3000000

The asians will make in suprisingly small numbers for as long as you want to buy them. They will make to your spec. for very little more than an off the shelf product. The main problem is minimum order size but a quick search on asian sources shows minimum orders of 200 or less. Sadly these things are what most manufacturers use nowadays because no-one can compete with the prices, I don't know how the hell they do it.

Those small radio controlled cars that were selling here for £20 to 30 were available in 1000 at under $3 each off asian sources, how the hell do they do that even with child labour and low wages.

Getting things manufactured in the UK sucks, it is well nigh impossible to do reliably unless you do it yourself.

Don't envy you I just gave up banging my head on that particular wall having tried for 4 years or so.

Reply to
Mjolinor

ease

mark.

and

info

and

be

the

video.

862&design=clean&language=en&action=GetSupplier&page=supplier/Homepage&suppl

ier_id=6008800757935&action=GetPoint&point_id=3000000149681&point_id=3000000

of

life

Many thanks. I have now contacted Philip and hope to progress this.

Reply to
Fred

ease

mark.

and

info

and

be

the

video.

862&design=clean&language=en&action=GetSupplier&page=supplier/Homepage&suppl

ier_id=6008800757935&action=GetPoint&point_id=3000000149681&point_id=3000000

of

life

the

on

were

having

Yes I often wonder how they do it. One would expect the cost of components alone would be greater.

Reply to
Fred

This is where we got ours from:

Quarndon Electronics Limited Slack Lane, DERBY DE22 3ED Tel: 01332 332651 Fax: 01332 360922

Greg the Grog

Reply to
Grog