tv vs. oscilloscope tubes

It has been explained to me in the past that tv tubes and oscilloscope tubes are different in a fundamental way that makes the former unsuitable for use in an oscilloscope. It has something to do with electric fields versus magnetic fields for controlling the path of the electrons. I gather that this is something intrinsic to the tubes themselves. What is it exactly about their design and construction that makes this difference between them?

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

TV tubes use external coils to generate magnetic fields which control
the deflection from normal of the electrons being emitted by the
electron gun, while oscilloscope use internal deflection plates to
electrostatically control the deflection

http://www.tpub.com/content/fc/14102/css/14102_13.htm
JF
Reply to
John Fields

Allan Adler schrieb:

An oscilloscope tube uses a similar cathode ray as the tv tube.

The deflection of oscilloscopes is performed by an electrostatic field between two plates inside the tube, tv tubes use an external magnetic field (deflection unit with coils).

The main difference is the nearly constant deflection frequency of tv sets and the wide deflection frequency range of osc tubes which would need lots of deflection power to build up the magnetic field. Another aspect could be the different precision of deflection factors in both techniques.

For details search the internet, you'll find a lot about these themes.

- Udo

Reply to
Udo Piechottka

ly

m?

and

n.

a million years ago a friend of mine built an oscilloscope around a TV crt. main thing he proved is that deflection coils are way more sluggish than electrostatic deflection.