turn signal relay - capacitor

hi all,

i have a turn signal relay on my motorbike and the timer circuit is broke , i took the capacitor out and it is the problem. a new turn signal relay cost 40 euros , the capacitor will only cost a fraction of that .

the problem i have is that i cant determine the charge of the capactior . it has 5840 wrote on the side of the capacitor, and the word maram . i normally see 3 digits or colours, i cant figure out what this one is . its an electrolytic.

i presume the company who made it is maram , and the number is a code for the size of the capacitor. i think it is 58 micro farads , would anybody know . i am using the multiplier rule i'm not 100% sure though.

i hope some can help me , i am sick doing manual indication :-) ( i have a piece of wire in the circuit for the time been )

thanks in advance

karl

Reply to
drunvalo

If you can't determine the value from the markings, why not buy a handful of different values and try them until you find one (or a combination of values) that gets the system going. Don't forget: Parallel capacitors add values (2uF + 3uF = 5uF) Series capacitors: 1/((1/2uf) + (1/3uF) + (1/4uF)) = 0.923uF (That's the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals)

Dave M MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the address)

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Reply to
DaveM

Have you got a circuit for it? Might be able to work it out roughly from first principles.

Reply to
CWatters

I don;t know if anyone color codes capacitors any more but maybe this will help???

philo

On Aug 30, 9:32 pm, drunvalo wrote: ...

Capacitor marks are probably 58 x 10^4 picofarads ==> 0.58 uF. My guess is that the 0 is a tolerance, perhaps 10 or 20% A guess as to the operating voltage would be above 100V

Reply to
big.rad.maps

Agreed on the most likely value. I'd expect the tolerance to be pretty wide, though - We're not exactly talking critical-to-the-picosecond timing here.

For a motorcycle circuit?!?

Well, OK, you COULD use a 100V+ component, and doing so would be 100% harmless to anything other than your wallet, but it seems to me that would be some fairly major overkill.

I'd expect a cap in such an application to be rated somewhere in the

20-50 volt range, since unless it's a really unusual bike, the highest voltage that anything on it other than the ignition system is likely to see (barring some catastrophic failure mode like hitting a power pole and having the live wire drop on the bike - but in that case, the survival of the cap is going to be the least of your worries...) will be in the range of 12-15 volts.
--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info