Today's Battery Gripe

I asked about finding a AAAA battery holder a few weeks ago, because I couldn't find one on the web. So I made a single AAAA cell holder out of a piece of pc board and some spring clips.

I tore apart a couple 9V batteries and found that usually 5 out of the

6 AAAA cells inside were not dead, usually only one cell was bad and caused the battery to fail.

I've been putting those halfway good cells in the battery holder and running a V boost circuit to drive a white LED. I put one in the holder and it might have a beginning voltage of 1.35 or so volts, and I let it run until it is well below a volt, usually below .8V.

What gets me is the every single cell fails by the same process. The top (negative) contact pops open and the cell leaks some juice, and of course the contact doesn't make contact with the inside of the cell.

This means to me that every 9V battery will fail and leak juice inside of the radio, usually corroding the contacts and doing other damage. This is something that I feel shouldn't happen. The cells shouldn't make a mess or do damage.

But every single cell has failed in this same way. Doesn't this seem to be a defect that should not happen, or rarely happen? Has anyone else verified this?

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

Have you tried them inside a battery? Perhaps they are contained?

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/    |  mailto:inquisitor@i.am |             Ian Stirling.
Paranoia: A game for the whole family, and anyone else who might be watching.

In article , Watson A.Name

- "Watt Sun" wrote in part:

Do you care to post the brand and age of the battery? Others chiming in I also ask to post the brand and the age. This problem may be specific to one or some brands and to cells that are at least whatever many years old.

Don Klipstein

I cant even remember the last time a battery leaked in my household. I've had 9V batteries in smoke detectors for many years, AAA and AA batteries in remotes for years, and never a drop out of them. It must have something to do with the fact that you have taken the batteries out of their casing. Kim

Reply to
Neil

Sounds like these AAAA cells are not ment for high current drain electronics. They probably have very high internal impediance, which in turn generates enough heat to expand the cell. You may be better off with the flat mini cells found in the Varta 9 volt rechargable battery. Some modelers use these in 1/16 scale balsa models used in free flight.

Martin Riddle

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mauve.demon.co.uk mentioned...

Sure they're contained. That doesn't seem to stop them from leaking. The battery case soaks up some of the juice, but some still gets out.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

In article , snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com mentioned...

I believe one was an Enercell (rat shack) and one was an Energizer. But I threw away the casings since they were sharp, torn metal, so that's from memory. The batteries are identical.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

I had some RayoVac AA alcalines I bougt 2002 or early 2003, that popped and leaked (i could hear them fizzling). Half luckily, they were in my 4xAA holder I use to get a little 6V whenever I need it. The one I heard pop, looked aroind to find one of them leaking (I was repairing my laptop at the time, and thought I blew something in it at first),

Reply to
Gary Tait

9v cells do NOT leak in normal use, there was a thread here some months back. the concensious was that the outside case and inside construction contained any spills.

i have never, ever, had one leak, the only type i can say that for. most others said the same. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Have you considered the possibility that the packaging you discarded ("casings") is specifically designed to work with the cells inside to prevent leakage? And to prevent explosions when the cell is shorted or reversed (charged)?

When you removed the cells, you essentially guaranteed they would leak.

This is not a design flaw. It is a "user failure". webpa

Reply to
WEBPA

In article , snipped-for-privacy@erols.com mentioned...

I appreciate that you verified that I was not the only one having this problem. Others doubted that it could happen. At least now they know that two people have had this problem, and it's not just a fluke.

Thanks.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watrson A.Name

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com mentioned...

They probably have

the cell. You may be

battery. Some modelers use

Thanks but I'm not interested in anything to substitute for the AAAA cells. I just wanted to let people know that they are all failing in the same manner. They pop open. And juice comes out.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watrson A.Name

quoting:

It is in my experience the the cells in 9v batteries are very poorly sealed. Whenever even the slightest stress is placed on them, they never pop, they just start fizzling. Although only about twice have I had juice escape from the outer casing.

Reply to
JM

It's not a problem. These batteries are not meant to be dissasembled and used a piece at a time. In their original assembly they operate quite well.

Reply to
Thinker

I too come across the odd leaking alkaline. Does anyone know what to nuetralize the leaked poop with? What about NiMh? For lead-acid batteries it's obviously baking soda. ...Stepan

Reply to
Stepan Novotill

For alkaline it is vinegar.

Reply to
clare

Greetings I might have missed this piece of information but what kind of current were you putting through the batteries, to charge them? Larry

Reply to
larry

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com mentioned...

Charge them?!?!?!

They're primary cells, not rechargable! They're just regular alkaline cells.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun

Just because they use potassium hydroxide as an electrolyte doesn't mean they are impossible to recharge... try it sometime. :)

Reply to
Mark Jones

Alkaline cells say they're not supposed to be recharged. "DO NOT RECHARGE,...etc."

We all know that it's possible to recharge them. The RayoVac Renewal cells are alkaline and they're meant to be recharged. But they don't hold much of the recharge and they rapidly deteriorate to where the charge lasts only a short time, and then it's time to trash them. So forget it.

Reply to
Lizard Blizzard