this USB scope any good?

Any thoughts on this?

Can I use any scope (such as this) to watch/scope a very high charge of like 10,000 Volts?

Reply to
Ken Williams

Yes, but only with the proper high-voltage probe - which' will include a resistive voltage divider to reduce the voltage to something reasonable.

You should NOT be messing around with high voltage circuits unless you know what you're doing, though. Why would you want to do this, anyway?

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Read the page you linked. The answer is there. If you have to ask this question, you should STAY VERY FAR AWAY FROM 10,000 VOLTS.

Reply to
spamme0

I'm an idiot with too much time on his hands. I hope I don't kill myself.

Reply to
Ken Williams

Let me rephrase the question - what is it that's operating at 10 kV that you think you need to be looking at with a scope?

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Just basic experimenting. I have no specific reason off the top of my head.

Reply to
Ken Williams

OK, in that case - don't. Playing with high voltage equipment is not the place to START getting your experience in electronics. A bit later on, sure. But if there's no good reason or actual need to be playing with 10 kV stuff, don't.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

you'd need a X10000 (times ten thousand) probe to get that range. that will not be cheap.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Isn't a signal generator just a power supply with more options/variables?

I mean if I can change the amplitude (voltage?) of the wave, frequency (Hz), etc. it just gives me power in any form I want whether AC, DC or something strange. Is this correct? Can I specify amps to customize the total power output of the signal or just the voltage?

Thanks for any clarification.

Reply to
Ken Williams

On 02/28/2009 12:25 AM, Ken Williams sent:

It's probably best to think of a signal generator as an variable frequency oscillator. However, the power delivered is usually very low although the voltage output might be anything from the microvolt range up to several volts, but at very little current. Hence, low power output.

Ken: Are you able to provide answers for any of the unanswered questions I sent you in previous posts?

Pete

--
1PW  @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
Reply to