Tel. number converter

I'm looking for a device that will input a dialled telephone number and convert it to another number. Both input and output must be standard telephone line characteristics.

This is to change a device that has a permanent number that it dials and I need it to dial a different number.

Thanks for any info.

Jack

Reply to
J. Yazel

Tone dial or pulse dial? Dedicated phone line for this device or shared with other calls?

Reply to
Don Taylor

======================

Tone dial.

Dedicated.

Reply to
J. Yazel

I was guessing, from the wording of his posting, that he had some dedicated device, maybe a WebTV or one of those little dedicated email devices or maybe some industrial equipment, that was hardwired to call a specific phone number for service and that the poster wanted to divert that call somewhere else. So I was just guessing from how he described this that attacking the problem at the far end wasn't feasible.

I haven't heard of a commercial product that would do this but I did think that it might be feasible to build a little something that would reconize when the dialing device took the phone off hook and then would flip a switch, to keep the dialing device thinking it had an open line to dial, while this "device in the middle" would just poke a button on a little hand-held tone dialer device you can buy. After that was done the switch would flip back and let his original hardware continue with the call from there.

But what he really needs, again I'm just guessing

Reply to
Don Taylor

If it gets too hard to find anything else, get an old PC and two modems. One modem receives the dial string, the next dials out.

Or use a cheap PABX.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

--
Can't you modify the device so that it'll dial a different number?
Reply to

It's probably not his device, and was locked into a single number for a reason.

--
Noah
Reply to

--
Maybe, but the question still stands:

"Can't you modify the device so that it'll dial a different number?"
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

=============================

I don't have the info to reprogram the ROM.

It's a 20-year-old Mitsubishi security sytem but since it still works perfectly, I can't see paying a couple of thousand for a replacement.

Do you know where I can get a copy of the installation manual (containing the ROM programming info)?

Thanks.

Jack

Reply to
J. Yazel

Fields, upon checking his supply room for larger cans, found none.

Reply to
JeffM

Ah. So we're talking HIGH security. Hasn't everybody know for >35 years that the 1st thing you do before burgling a building is cut the phone line and see if the cops show up?

The smart ones bring along a roach clip and just jumper it at the block. Upon leaving, they retrieve the jumper. Sometimes folks don't know they've been burgled for days.

"Security system" phone dialers are a joke.

Reply to
JeffM

I'm betting you could read that ROM, search and find the digit string, then replace it in an otherwise duplicate EPROM. At least, that's what I'd try.....

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

--
Yeah, me too.  That sounds like the perfect way to do it.

BTW, Jack, what's the ROM part number?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

======================

That's like changing a tire at 60mph.

Humor aside, I can't take it out of service to try to decipher the board. I don't have a schematic or a parts list and I'm not very good at tinkering.

I am just looking for an external converter.

Thanks very much for the help.

Jack

Reply to
J. Yazel

if it only ever dials one number you may be able do do something simpler -- record the tones you want it dial in a small solid-state audio recorder (like found in greeting cards etc) and arrange to have them play instead of its internal tone generator when it goes off-hook to dial.

--
Bye.
   Jasen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jasen Betts

Who owns the phone number that is dialed? And how did it get in there in the first place?

You might look at this DTMF transceiver or others. I have no idea if it would work for you or not. Or just DTMF receivers that could trigger something like a speed dial. I have no idea what you want to transmit.

Or why not just buy a whole new device? Like others I would be wary of a strictly landline connection if this is important.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Now that you mention it, Bill, there are the liability issues accompanying any retrofit of this sort. Suppose a conversion device is put in place (seems to be do-able, now that Jack has provided a bit more information) and at an alarm event, it fails. Deep regret, if what's being protected is owned by Jack; lawsuit city if it's not.

--
St. John
Never make anything simple and efficient when a way can be found to
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
St. John Smythe

When I was working with security systems all the dialers had a cut line detector. If the DC voltage went to zero, it set off the local alarm, which was a siren or two, and maybe some strobe lights. Some used a RF telemetry system with the phone line as a secondary reporting system.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell