superconducting wire questions

If I have a normal copper wire and I run electricity through it a magnetic field is produced around the wire.

1) If the wire is super conducting there should be no magnetic field correct?

2) Is the magnetic field produced in a copper wire proportional to the wire's resistance somehow?

Reply to
Ken Williams

Wrong - at work, we have some electromagnets wound with superconducting wire.

No - only to the current. (Well... the current will be inversely proportional to the circuit resistance, so you could make a case... :-) )

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

NO

NO

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

No and no. The magnetic field surrounding a conductor - or even that due to a stream of electrons in free space - is proportional to the current, which simply put is the amount of charge "flowing" past a given point per unit time. In other words, the magnetic field is proportional to the rate at which charge is being transferred along a given path.

A superconducting wire carrying, say, 1A of current would have exactly the same field surrounding it as a conventional conductor carrying the same current. What it would lack, due to the lack of resistance in the conductor, is a *voltage* drop from end to end.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

--
Incorrect.

The magnetic field is _caused_ by how much electricity goes through the
wire in a given amount of time.
Reply to
John Fields