Sticker Shock!

I was at the local used bookstore today checking out the slim pickings on the shelf of electronics books. I came across one, "Surface-mount Devices Trouble Shooting and Repair" by David L. Heiserman, ISBN 0-13-

877952-X, Prentice Hall. I 'bout passed out from sticker shock when I opened up the cover and saw that they had it listed for $65.00. Whoa!

I'll have to do a search and see what other places offer it for. It's just a thin little book, too.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

Amazon didn't have it at all and the Barnes and Nobel price was slightly higher.

Reply to
Baphomet

He's not writing for TAB anymore?

Prentice Hall is hardly making books for the hobbyist, though by author and your comment about size it almost seems like this is a hobby book. I suspect the used book store is pricing based on that publisher, rather than inherent worth. They probably see it as a text book, and text books tend to carry higher used prices, again not necessarily a reflection of actual value.

I was at a used book sale put on by one local university back in October. They had a Burr-Brown book on op-amps from thirty years ago. I was mildly interested, since I can remember when it came out and I had wanted a copy then. But they were pricing text books at ten dollars (only coffee table books had higher prices), and the book wasn't worth it to me. Or anyone else either, since I went back for the last half hour of the two day sale, and it was still there. I offered a smaller amount, and they said they could sell it next year. So they had to pack it away and hope someone buys it next year.

A lot of technical books do have shocking prices these days. And when they hit the used market, some times a high price is still valid. But they need to be careful, because the high price will only be paid if someone find the book valuable enough. And for a lot of technical books I see on the used market, they aren't worth a high price.

On the other hand, I have found, at another of the local university used book sales, some interesting books precisely because they've been in the under five dollar price range. I don't have that much interest in the inner workings of cellphones, but I was glad to buy that book on the topic for two dollars. And likely it sold for close to a hundred originally.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

====================

Have you tried your library?

Reply to
J. Yazel

Good technical books are expensive. I typically pay a few hundred dollars for my reference books. The authors spend most of their lives to write these books, and the information contained is complex to begin with. Many of the engineers who purchase these books are making good money from the information within. It is fair game to allow the authors to have a fair share for books and publications. These types of books don't sell as well as novels for the same amount of investment for publication and distribution.

I think the pricing is fair...

Try to look for a used one.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG ========================================= WebPage

Electronics

[...]

Jerry G.

54 + shipping
Reply to
Robert C Monsen

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nls.net mentioned...

When it comes to electronics books, the pickings are even slimmer in the local library shelves. Seems that there is less interest in hobby electronics, so the libraries look at the circulation statistics and see that certain books are not being checked out, so the books go bye- bye. Shame that younger folk find books less appealing than video games. I went to Blockbuster and there are no books or magazines on their shelves. The only store that I can think of that offer both is Borders. Luckily there's a Borders in the local mall.

--
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
Subject: line with other stuff.  alondra101  hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com mentioned...

Er, if you read the original post above, this **was** a used one!

I have no qualms about paying the author his fair share, but that applies only to new books. Once they go to a used bookstore, that doesn't apply any more. Don't you agree?

And one other point. This is a SMD repair book, not a technical book with academic stuff in it.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net mentioned...

I should rub the used bookstore seller's nose in that. Selling a used book for more than it's offered by the publisher... Shame.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

"Watson A.Name - Watt Sun, Dark Remover" wrote ....

No, can't agree. Rightly or wrongly, there was some consensus of "residual value" between the original owner of the book and the the bookstore (who are just trying to recover their cost plus whatever profit they think they can make.)

Can I go to a local used-car lot and buy a Hummer for $4000?

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Hear-hear!

(snip)

And that even those who do manage to tear themselves away from MP3 players and video candy can tell you, with a straight face, that Java and C++ are the only viable development tools. My nephew, now a comp. sci. graduate, took my advice and signed up for every machine language course offered. He learned the value and satisfaction of writing small, tight code but JEEZ! did he gripe about the "torture" of completing the term project, a 2-pass assembler, in one course.

While my Barnes & Noble is no great shakes re: elec. tech. books & mags., it does have some of both.

Reply to
Michael

In article , snipped-for-privacy@xprt.net mentioned...

What does a hummer, or any car for that matter, have to do with it? You buy neither a new car nor a used car for its informational value.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

A hummer informs me that the owner is a wanker.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Things are worth whatever the seller and buyer agree to. Sometimes it has no relationship to what others would estimate as a value.

Reply to
Richard Crowley