speech to serial

I am looking for a circuit and software that I once saw in the 1990's. It had a microphone, a circuit and a serial port output. It converted speech to serial input to a computer. The software allowed you to play back the speech. I still have the circuit I built for this, but have long since lost the software.

Does anyone remember the circuit I am referring to? Do you happen to know where I can get the software and possibly schematic again?

Thank you,

Tim

Please reply to snipped-for-privacy@teccs.biz

Reply to
Tim

I think there was something in Byte at some point. But that sort of thing is also common to the Apple II, so what I remember from Byte may have specifically been for the Apple II.

But we're talking late seventies, when people wanted to do things with existing hardware, hardware that was limited.

So you fed the audio into a zero-crossing detector, and that digitized the signal sort of. A rough approximation of the original sound, and probably okay for speech but not much else.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

not that one

maybe you could use an old voice modem they're cheap!

I'm guessing the setup was a delta-sigma ADC implemented mostly in software,

These days it may be easier to stick a cheap microcontroller into a usb port.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Or even simpler, plug the microphone into the jack for it on the soundcard.

Once upon a time, it made sense to "make do" when it cost so much and maybe especially when memory was so limited that you couldn't tolerate high sampling rates. But those days are gone.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Wow that's a blast from the past. I half remember a circuit like that. Possibly in Elektor magazine?

Reply to
Cwatters

why not use the sound card, its simpler because its already there?

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie