Special Relays for low voltage circuit

I am building a device that runs on regular batteries and I need to use relays in it. Are there special relays for these sorts of low voltages and currents?

One of the relays needs to close a circuit once the pd in the main circuit is above 2 or 3 volts (main circuit will reach 15 volts on occasion).

I need the other relay to close a switch once the pd gets above 12-14 volts (I have a capaciter charging and I need it a circuit to close when it reaches close to maximum charge). Is there a special relay that I can get that will close a switch at the specified pd of 12-14 volts.

any help much appreciated.

Rupert

Reply to
Rupert

In general, yes, though you may have trouble finding ones to operate at specific voltages. You mention 12V, is this always available?

Using relays to act as voltage comparators isn't generally good practice. The trip voltage may depend on orientation, vibration, as well as how that voltage is approached.

There are many low power solid state solutions that can drive relays if you need them to, and be vastly more accurate. A more complete idea of what you are doing would be helpfull to make some suggestions.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/    |  mailto:inquisitor@i.am |             Ian Stirling.
Windows 2000, software for next millenia.       - Ian Stirling.

Howdy Rupert,

If space and costs allow, I would use a small off the shelf dc-dc convertor package to provide the relay supply, and choose a common relay type to use throughout the design.

regards Alastair

Reply to
JukeboxWizard