solenoid needed

I am looking for an inexpensive solenoid. It needs to be a pull type with a stroke distance of about 3 inches. I am open to other actuators, but I need linear movement and a spring to hold an object in place after current has been shut off.

Reply to
dmehling

In my practical experience, solenoids are not a good choice for moving something 3 inches. They use alot of power for a given force, and typical stroke distances on available, inexpensive solenoids are very small. They are very quick, though.

Without knowing your application, available energy sources, speed and force needs, etc., it's hard to recommend something else.

BRW

Reply to
bennet

Instead of moving the load directly by the solenoid, you might consider using a cantilever, such that the solenoid only needs to move an inch or so. The lever extends the movement to the required 3 inches.

Surf the web; search for solenoid for some decent selections and prices.

Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveM