Shielding from microwaves

Hi, I am having a little microwave experiment, and I want to shield some cracks from leaking microwaves. A pal said to me that a paper-type called "mica" is used for such reasons in microwave ovens. Actually what he told me is that it allows microwaves to pass through, but it blurs them so as they are not focused as before.

Is it true, or does anyone know any better way to make leaking microwaves less harmful (apart from Faraday cage, this is too hard for me to make, I suppose).

Reply to
eric

If you don't need 100% attentuation of the microwaves, then it might be quite easy to make a Faraday cage. I made one out of a biscuit tin and chicken wire that works reasonably well at cellphone frequencies (up to about 1800 MHz I think). Details are at:

Simon

Thanks for your reply. I would like to vanish them outside of the usage area, if possible. I am not much in electronics, but is it a low budget Faraday cage possible to seal an area of about 2 meter x 2 meter x 2 meter? What is this "chicken wire" that you are mentioning? Do you mean ordinary wire?

Reply to
eric

Thanks for your reply. I would like to vanish them outside of the usage area, if possible. I am not much in electronics, but is it a low budget faraday cage possible to seal an area of about 2 meter x 2 meter x 2 meter? What is this "chicken wire" that you are mentioning? Do you mean ordinary wire?

Reply to
eric

By "chicken wire", I just mean wire mesh, made from galvanized steel wire. The size of the holes in the mesh is important - it needs to be significantly smaller than the shortest wavelengths you want to block. I guess you could build a 2m x 2m x 2m Faraday cage out of chicken wire, but the difficult bit would be probably be sealing the joints between the sheets of chicken wire, and sealing around whatever kind of door or access hatches you need.

Reply to
Simon

ideally: solder or weld the crack shut. if that's too hard stuff the crack with aluminium foil.

A pal said to me that a paper-type called "mica" is used for such reasons in microwave ovens.

mica is used in the oven's I'm not sure exactly what puropse it serves, it is not a tyype of paper,

--

Bye.
   Jasen

microwave ovens.

Perhaps you may ask your friend about mica and shielding in general?

Reply to
eric

On the web I came across references to Velostat. Does anyone know if it absorbs microwaves and where may one get it from?

Reply to
eric