Serial Interface for LCD

I know that many multi row LCD displays use the HD 4780 controller and that there several interface boards available convert RS232 to HD4780 but... What about simple single row displays? Is there a "standard" way to drive a single row of eight 7 segment digits from a serial port? (Eg for outdoor signs).

I could easily design my own interface but would like the option of being able to buy a bigger commercial unit later if such a standard exists.

Reply to
CWatters

-------------------------------- Sure, easy, look at this:

Just latch and pipe that to your displays.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

Look at the Maxim MAX6954, it drives up to 16 digits 7-segments displays through an SPI interface.

Cheers,

Robert Lacoste - ALCIOM : The mixed signals experts

"R. Steve Walz" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@armory.com...

that

What

being

Robert Lacoste

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply but what I was really trying to find out is..

Is there a standard for the serial interface protocol?

eg

......etc

Looking round it would seem each manufacturer has their own protocol.

that

What

being

CWatters

Thanks but that's an LED display driver if I'm not mistaken.

but...

outdoor

CWatters