sending video to multiple monitors and other tricks

hi, i found out that with a video splitter and maybe a signal amplifier i can send the same video signal to multiple monitors.

i also found out that every tv monitor has a 75 ohm impedance switch which is usually on. if you can de activate this switch, you can send the video on from that monitor to the next in a link instead of needing a splitter.

question one is - how easy is it to find and disable that 75 ohm switch in a regular consumer monitor? i just bought an old sony "cube" design monitor and it has a switch on the back pannel, and an output so you can send the video signal on. how would you disable this in a consumer monitor?

question two is - what is the hardware called that would take a video signal, split it into quarters or 9ths and then send each piece to another monitor, so if i wanted i could stack the monitors and have one huge image?

question three is - what other kinds of tricks are out there for manipulating video images with hardware thats easily accessable? i was wondering if there's any way to delay a video signal. If i split the same signal to four different monitors, could i delay one of them so it plays a little behind the rest?

thanks a lot for the information. max

Reply to
max slomoff

On monitors I've dealt with (most were for use in a TV Broadcast studio), there were two video connectors on the read panel, with the

75 ohm termination switch nearby, and easily accessible without removing any covers.

video distribution amplifier

You can delay by nanoseconds by using coax cable (about 1.5 nS per foot). For any noticeable delay, you need serious electronics, or perhaps videotape. (at one station, we did a video delay using two 2" broadcast video recorders side-by-side - record on one, and play back on the other (with the tape carefully draped between the machines)).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
 Click to see the full signature

Yes.

Yes.

There is no 75 ohm switch on a regular consumer monitor. There is auite often 75 ohm termination resistor somewhere in the monitor that does this 75 ohm termination. By removing that resistor could make such device "high impedance" so you can daisy-chain many of those to same cable.

This usually involves getting the schematic, then figuring out where that resistor is and then removing it. And then possibly chanign the connections so that there is input and output connectors for diasy-chaining.

I think that those are called video wall processor.

With a powerful PC, a video capture card, graphics card with video out you can do quite many tricks with suitable software.

How much do you want to delay it ?

For very short delays, a long coaxial cable will do. For longer delays you propably need some active electronics like timebase corrector, framestore etc.

What is the point of doing this ?

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

the point of doing all this is simply to set up a dynamic multi monitor display.

you mentioned software and a computer? can you give me some names of software that do real time fx? would i feed the video to the computer and run it out? or would i have the video on a computer and run it all out from there to different monitors?

Reply to
max slomoff
[snip]

Go here and find out all about them. They're awesome!

[snip]
--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun