Secure Digital Card

If you see a sd card from the back the ninth pin (from the right) is shorter than the others. On the card I've got, this pin (contact) is too short and there was (a tiny) available gap for this contact to be extended (from the manufacturer). Is there any material that I could use to extend this pin just enough to make contact with my device (e.g. liquid metal, metal glue ??? I used my imagination here !! ) Thanks Jim.

Reply to
Jim

That pin is probably deliberately short. Without going into the exact specs and related material, I'd bet it's the power pin, and it's intended to be the last to make contact when inserted, and the first to lose contact when removed.

You see a similar arrangement on USB plugs/sockets - two of the connectors are significantly shorter than the others. Those two are the power lines. The idea is to connect the data lines first, THEN power.

It would be my opinion that messing with extending the contact on your card would be a bad idea for the health of either the card, or the device it goes into.

--
Don Bruder -  dakidd@sonic.net
Reply to

Hi Don. I see the line traces on my sd card contacts (that the pins of my device is making onto the sd card), and it would not be a problem as the ninth pin (even if I extend it) it would be far from reaching the same level of the other contacts. The problem is that I may destroy the door that holds the card (and the batteries) because I have to add an addition back of the card (a kind of sponge) to push the card down to make proper contact. Thanks for your response, Jim.

shorter

and

the

my