Salt Encrusted Phone Block Picture! - For the guys on comp.dcom.telecom.tech and comp.dcom.cabling

Check out the picture on alt.binaries.schematics.electronic newsgroup with the same subject as above. The only thing I can figure is that the swimming pool pump room is letting chlorine or salt get into the underground pipes and it's getting into the wires. I stripped back a few inches of the salt encrusted wire and it just dripped water. Like it's being sucked up by capillary action. EWWWWW!

Reply to
Lizard Blizzard

Yeah, but was that really salt? Did you taste it :-)

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Isn't salt really Calcium Chloride - that would explain it. There's chlorine leaching into the line somehow, probably from the water that's in it.

Reply to
COTTP

Table salt is Sodium Chloride. Calcium Chloride is one of many compounds that can be called a "salt".

More about me:

VB3/VB6/NSBasic Palm/C/PowerBasic source code:
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
johnecarter at@at mindspring dot.dot com. Fix the obvious to reply by email.

Reply to
the Wiz

Stanley settled back into the couch, and COTTP said to him:

"Table" salt is *Sodium* Chloride. Still hygroscopic, but not as much.

Cheers,

-- jra

Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        God, unlike Anya, is fond of bunnies.  -- Chelsea Christenson
Reply to
Jay R. Ashworth

No. Salt is sodium chloride, though use can also use potasium chloride if you're on a low sodium diet.

Calcium chloride is often used for melting ice, because it's less harmful to concrete, than sodium chloride.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.
Reply to
James Knott

Ok, that's it. I got my Sodium/Calcium mixed up. But there's a potential there for ground salts getting picked up and when mixed with the chlorine would cause said crystallization to happen.

Reply to
COTTP

Nope, sodium chloride.

Calcium chloride tastes HORRIBLE!