RJ45 and Cat5 power rating

HI

I have been looking about and can't find the answer and was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction.

I'm working on a project where I want to use RJ45 and cat5 cables

I want to use 1 pair for the differential data and 3 pairs to carry power (in parallel) but I'm not sure on the power rating of CAT5 cable or the RJ45 connectors.

Does anybody know?

Brian

Reply to
Brian

its low current wire. i can't remember the common gauge on the conductor but its around 24 awg. its ~ 25 ohms per 1000 feet it is suggested that you do not exceed 5 % drop of voltage on the other end. it depends on the length of cat your going to use. longer lengths means less current handling. you can put the pairs together, i have seen it done but don't expect to run lots of current. for example, for a 100 foot run i wouldn't go over 2 amps/ with 3 pairs together you will get aprox 16 ohms of resistance on a 1000 foot run so in a 100 foot run you would get 1.6 ohms. so you mite get like a 3 volt drop if you expect a load of 2 amps in the line for example. you didn't say how large of a load you were expecting to use ? i may have the gauge used for Cat wrong, it could be 22 which would make it even better for you. hope that give you some insight there.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

you could look to a maker for their data sheets...

here's a starting point:

Voltage up round 100VDC (peak of telephone ring signal)

current about 250mA per contact (power-over-ethernet spec puts 500mA at

48V common-mode on one pair coming and another going - less than that has been fatal)
--

Bye.
   Jasen