RFID reader for my cat's chip?

Is there an RFID reader on the market that could read my cat's implanted chip from a few feet away? I want to plug it into a microcontroller that dispenses cat food whenever the cat comes near. Thank you!

Reply to
dylpkls91

Put a pressure sensitive switch in a pad in front of the feeder. Cats will not over-eat. You're safe.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Some other creature stealing the food?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

No, just a fun project!

Reply to
dylpkls91

No - the antennas in pet tags are very small, and the inverse square law precludes reading from any serious distance. If you can pursuade kitty to actually walk through a coil that may just do it, but otherwise range is an inch or two.

Reply to
Mike Harrison