RF discharge question:

Hi, I need some help with what I believe it is a very basic question:

I have an RF generator connected to a plasma discharge between two coaxial electrodes. The outer electrode is grounded, the voltage is applied to the inner electrode. I also have a termination at the end of the electrodes, and a matchbox to couple the RF cable to the discharge system.

I know that the voltage on the inner electrode (which is about 1/10 of the wavelength) is variing slowly, and I can tweak the termination to get a maximum voltage at the center of the inner electrode, so the discharge is almost symmetrical.

I have some questions though about the outer ("grounded") electrode.

Since this is also about 1/10 of the wavelength, I wonder if there is any voltage drop across this electrode... i.e. is there a voltage between its ends, or between the center and the end?

If this were a DC system, I would be able to understand everything very easily, however I am not an RF expert. please help me, or point me to some web sites explaining this stuff...

Thanks

Reply to
chibitul

You can get voltage drop across anything, the higher the frequency the worse it seems to get. I've had about 2 foot of wire and connected a 230V mains lamp at its ends and had the lamp light brigher than normal. You can also develop voltage nodes or standing waves (as I think they are called) across wires, where you in effect have a 0volts point in 2 or 3 places across a wire. I'm no RF epert either, but thats what I know happens.

Chris

Reply to
exxos