RF/antennas hands-on book

I need to brush up my RF and antenna knowledge, which is always something that I've almost but not quite understood. I've got a few books on the subject (two by Kraus, Electromagnetics and Antennas, and another on RFIC design) but they're often dry academic tomes and it's hard to get a feel for the subject. I'd really like something along the lines of The Art of Electronics for RF. The AofE has a high-frequency chapter but it's a bit too brief (though I ought to go and reread it, it's been a while).

Any recommendations for hands-on books that are relatively easy to read, to give an idea of practicalities as well as theory?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

The ARRL Antenna Book.

Among texts, King, Mimno, and Wing's _Transmission Lines, Antennas, and Wave Guides_ is one I find particularly clearly written. The Dover paperback edition (1965) can usually be found at a reasonable price.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Reply to
Roy Lewallen

something

the

RFIC

feel for

bit

read, to

Amateur radio, perhaps? In the UK look for publications by the Radio Society of Great Britain; or possibly some libraries and bookstores have the ARRL Handbooks.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski

On this, I have to admit, The ARRL Antenna Book is well done ... also, past editions of the ARRL handbooks can be had for a song in used book stores ... antenna design in amateur circles is rather stagnant, old literature can still be utilized.

Regards, JS

Reply to
John Smith I

Take alook at Bill Orr's books The W6SAI Hf Antenna Handbook (Paperback) Amazon

Also on line is the Navy Training series

On the upper right - click on NEXT to continue reading page by page.

Good Radiating Lamont

Reply to
The Shadow

Hmm... good idea. The university library only has ARRL and RSGB handbooks (which I think is things like current bands, callsigns etc) but I'll see if I can find some amateur radio books. A big stack of 1970s magazines looks to be coming my way too :)

Thanks for the suggestions! Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Kevin G. Rhoads

Theo On the thread "why" I have mentioned a reference to electromagnetics and antennas, you might want to check it out via google. Art

Reply to
art

Oooops, I meant to state the Gaussian static law thread. Art

Reply to
art

Oooh... lots to keep me occupied there. Thanks :)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos