Revised technical question:

Of course not, and I never said you could.

This entire thread has progressed WAY BEYOND anything useful. We are all speculating about what the OP was asking and doing nothing but wasting time and bandwidth. I'm done.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Yep, you'd be mistaken

PA systems run in very low impedance

2 ohms is common thru to 8 ohms. Only high frequency drivers use 16ohms as nominal impedance. Series Parallel is never used on low frequency transducers.

Qsc Audio, Crown, Carver, Bryston, Crest, BGW, Peavey, all manufacturers of power amps for PA use. All have minimum impedance of 2ohms, and typically, a dual 18" subwoofer has a 4 ohm impedance (2 8ohm 18" drivers in parallel)

Ever put a cap across a speaker load? Introduces harmonics that aren't supposed to be there, even at low power levels. Ummmm??

Reply to
Switch

Contrary:

abuse of the usenet can be reported to your isp for traceroute. Everyone (even dynamic) IP addresses get authenticated.

Usually snipped-for-privacy@yourisp.com fill in your isp. (ie: someone posting illegal material in newsgroups can't get away with it, hate mongerers etc...)

Please understand that your post appears to not only this newsgroup, it gets posted on almost every electronics website with a forum, that means, MILLIONS of people get to see your top post.

(just an example, try google)

Read up sometime, not following the rules doesn't mean you're better than anyone else.

Reply to
Switch

No, you are the one who is mistaken.

Real PA systems use what is needed for the job at hand.

nominal

power amps for

subwoofer has a 4

You are confusing musical equipment with real "PA" equipment. It is meant for portable setups with short cables, and temporary use.

supposed to be

Those are not the only "PA" amps. There are a lot of 25V, 70V, and

100V constant voltage systems which are high impedance. Tell me how far you can run 200 watts at 2 ohms? A 70 volt system would be 5000/200 or 25 ohms. which can stand a five ohm loop resistance better? How about a 25 watt speaker with a 3000 foot loop?
--
We now return you to our normally scheduled programming.

Take a look at this little cutie! ;-)
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/photos.html

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

nominal

power amps for

subwoofer has a 4

These are not musical equipment, they are power amplifiers, the SAME type of amp you can drive a 70V speaker system with, just put a transformer on the output of the amp!!!!! duh.

supposed to be

read below, 200watts at 2ohms is quite low power, several hundred feet with the appropriate AWG wire. I've installed ElectroVoice MTL-4 (2ohm sub cabinet uses

4 18" woofers in a manifold/bandpass box), with a 1800W/ch power amplifier using 10AWG wire in a nightclub over 200 feet. The damping was only slightly affected because the amplifier had a damping factor of >2000, amplifiers with low damping factors cannot dampen the speakers over a long distance of wire. Read below for an explanation of damping.

A 70 volt system would be 5000/200 or

Reply to
Switch

as nominal

of power amps

subwoofer has

amp you can

amp!!!!! duh.

supposed to be

uses 4 18"

10AWG wire in a

amplifier had

the speakers

calculate,

it!!

stuff on a

is, as well

the line.

Europe, same

are tapped so

transformers

amp).

loads) in

transformer

speakers down

(20-20Khz).

200feet. At

amplifier has very

creates the

will control

speaker

feet

4ohm load
8AWG wire, you

at the

systems in that

of

I started working in commercial sound systems over 35 years ago. I owned my own commercial sound business before I moved on to broadcast engineering at radio and TV stations, then on to manufacturing microwave Telemetry equipment, including a system aboard the International Space Station. I did schools, churches factories, and a lot of outdoor events. I sold, serviced and rented equipment, and built custom control systems. I also provided equipment for parade floats. The one thing you never do in the sound business is let a politician use a system on credit when they are running for office. If they win, they don't know you, and if they lose, they can't pay their bills. As far as the rentals systems, the worst was doing three events in one day, in three different towns with the same equipment with one truck and a crew of three people.

To get the output impedance of any constant voltage system you square the voltage, then divide by the rated power.

25V = 25*25 or 625 Ohms/Watt 70V = 70*70 or 5000 Ohms/Watt 100V = 100*100 or 10000 Ohms/Watt
--
We now return you to our normally scheduled programming.

Take a look at this little cutie! ;-)
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/photos.html

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

is

explain

kid.

(even dynamic)

material in

gets posted on

people get to see

try google)

anyone else.

As I said in my last post, its not your job to tell someone what to do. You may explain the rules but youre attempting to be the boss is inappropriate. If you dont like the way I post, youre free to complain to whomever you wish, but you dont have the right to tell anyone what to do. Brian Oakley

Reply to
Brian Oakley

This is wrong. There are many uses of 6dB/octave or lower response slopes, such as in areas of feedback stabilization, line equalization, signal processing, etc. And a -3dB/octave filter is the easiest way to make pink noise from white noise. Although it may not seem so to some, pink noise generation is an important capability to many audio experts. Plus it makes a great background-masking sound for sleeping.

Thanks, - Win

whill_at_picovolt-dot-com

Reply to
Winfield Hill

You still missed the point, in audio, you don't use filter slopes less than

6db/octave, read up on professional audio, in fact, speakers themselves naturally taper off (attenuate), when they reach the limit of their frequency response.

Typically, a 24db/octave Linkwitz or Butterworth passive networks are used when you are crosing over speaker components in professional loudspeakers, and most good home audio uses at least 12db/octave.

So what was your point? read the threads, it is relating to passive crossover networks.

Reply to
Davis Redding

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ispwest.com mentioned...

Usenet us a mutally cooperative medium. If you don't cooperate, no one reads your posts. Simple as that. Keep on giving others a hard time and you'll get plonked by everyone. Last one was DM, which now means Doesn't Matter, because he's in my killfile. :-P

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

Which reminds me. There's a stray cat in the neighborhood who has now taken up residence under the gas meter in my patio. He sleeps there much of the time. I'm thinking that the constant hiss of the gas meter may make him oblivious to the surrounding sounds. Or maybe he's getting high of the fumes? I dunno, but I'm looking for a way to make it more unattractive for him. Maybe a can of catnip..

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't
changed it: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html@@t@h@e@@a@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@m@e@e@t@@t@h@e@@E@f@f@l@u@e@n@t@@
Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

Just plant some catnip seeds somewhere else. When it starts to bloom, the cat will go to it, along with every other stray around. ;-)

--
We now return you to our normally scheduled programming.

Take a look at this little cutie! ;-)
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/photos.html

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or, using a small motion sensing circuit, combined with a blow torch nozzle and solenoid to turn on the gas to the torch, with an ignition circuit, light the thing and I'm sure the cat will start to hate it quite quickly!

Or, the cat might like the warm breeze from the torch?!??! Don't cats like catnip?

Reply to
Davis Redding

Perhaps it's just trying to stay warm, because in the low temperatures we are experiencing these days, the gas being fed underground to your gas meter is warmer by far than the ambient.

Have you considered inviting this poor guy/gal into your home during the really cold nights? An old towel or blanket spread on the floor can provide a wonderful, warm bed, and a few easily and hastily constructed barriers can prevent your "guest" from straying into areas where he/she is not being welcomed.

The gift of a warm and safe place to sleep for the night is always appreciated by domesticated animals who, in contrast to unknown humans, pose no threat. You may even make a new friend.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

and solenoid

I'm sure

catnip?

"Like" is a gross understatement. They go berserk around it. A tiny amount drives them crazy. We planted a few seeds at the back of our garden once, and when it started to bloom, the place was full of cats trying to get as close as possible to the plants.

--
We now return you to our normally scheduled programming.

Take a look at this little cutie! ;-)
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/photos.html

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

telling

it

Everyone

illegal

it

example,

than

You

inappropriate.

Hey, its a free country. "Plonk" away. Brian

Reply to
Brian Oakley