Remote Car Starter question

I just installed a remote starter into my 1990 Chevy Suburban. It worked for a while, then it would not start remotely anymore. I found that the 30- amp fuse in the remote starter was blown. I am assuming that my truck requires more than 30 amps to start the vehicle. I decided to use an external relay to do it, but the largest auto relays I can find are 30-amp. Is it possible to wire 2 of these in parallel (obviously with a fuse inline) to avoid damage to the relays? If not, what is a good source of higher than 30 amp relays that I can use to do this?

Reply to
Tyson Howard

Are you routing the starter motor cable through the relay?

If so, why?

The key switch contacts in the steering column can do the job while passing less than an Amp or two.

MikeM

Reply to
MikeM

You, should never have to pass that much amperage to start the vehicle with the remote start. As MikeM said, go to the steering column for your connections.

NH

30-
30-amp.
Reply to
ATS

I went through the ignition harness coming out of the steering wheel.

"ATS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Tyson Howard

And you are pulling more than 30 amps? I would verify that you are indeed pulling that much amperage before continuing to troubleshoot. I have installed many a remote start in older suburbans and have never had that problem.

NH

Reply to
ATS

I may not be. It may have just been a bum fuse. I will replace the fuse and see what happens.

"ATS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Tyson Howard

Tim Wescott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

The wire I am connecting it to is about 18 gauge or so. Maybe 16. Haven't checked that fuse to the key yet. I think I may have just had a bum fuse in the remote starter.

Reply to
Tyson Howard

What's the fuse rating to the ignition key? I don't think your solenoid should pull more than 30 amps.

And if you're replacing that cable as big as your thumb that goes to the solenoid you're putting the circuit in the wrong place!

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

30-
30-amp.
Reply to
Rich Grise

30-
30-amp.

Have you checked with the folks you got the remote starter from?

Good Luck Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

worked

the 30-

30A is way too much current for the starter solenoid to be drawing. I would look for an intermittent short circuit. Installing car wiring that lasts can sometimes be tricky. It doesn't take long for a wire to wear thru it's insulation if it's "flopping" around under the dash and rubbing on something.
Reply to
Anthony Fremont

CAT# RLY-630 $2.25

30 amp closed contact, 40 amp open contact.

Personally, I'd diagnose the problem first. I get worried when problems are bypassed, rather than solved.

Reply to
ehsjr

Did you leave the vehicle in gear???

Why are you using relays to start it?

I would use a relay to energise the starter solenoid.

Regards, Gordon.

30-
30-amp.
Reply to
Gordon Youd

paralleling two relays won't work, because they won't switch at the same instant, so there's always one that the takes the current, while the other has nothing to do. There are 70Amp relays out there, usually for switching diesel glowplugs etc.

"Tyson Howard" schreef in bericht news:Xns94E1A45F18CD5blahblahcom@65.24.7.50...

30-
30-amp.
Reply to
Jeroen

"Gordon Youd" wrote in news:c7j20q$ol5$1 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

No

I am not currently. I believe I just had a bad fuse, as I have replaced it and everything is working perfectly now.

worked

the

of

Reply to